Absolute Wilderness Freeze Dried Meals

1–10 of 16

Not sure if you're allowed to do this - but I thought I'd let you guys know theres a new high performance freeze dried meal brand in New Zealand. Here's a bit about us - At Absolute Wilderness our passion is for creating high performance meals for outdoor athletes and enthusiasts. We only make meals that are super tasty, light weight and packed full of the things athletes need in the outdoors. We use the latest food and nutrition science, in-depth taste testing and the best ingredients. This attention to detail creates meals that are easy to use, easy to carry and always taste amazing. All our meals are completely freeze dried. Freeze drying is considered the best method of drying because it is able to preserve the natural flavors, nutrients and shape of the food. The end product is super light weight, packed full of flavor and quick to rehydrate. Because we take food seriously we never use air drying on any of our products. Available online now.
yup you're in the right forum and it's relevant to tramping.... unlike a lot of previous spammers...
I thought back country cruisine was expensive. Now I know better
Well, Back Country Cuisine sometimes has BHA or BHT in it. I've had the American version of BCC and it's about the same price as this product with all the nasty American ingredients. So let's have a look at this brand...How about the gluten-free Bacon Mash. This brand has antioxidant 316 - sodium erythorbate which is the salt of a stereoisomer of Vitamin C http://www.foodcanmakeyouill.co.uk/library/content/Antioxidants.pdf Seems to be pretty innocuous. Now for the mineral salts... the source for this was: http://nutritionclinic.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/food-additives-50-food-additives-should-be-avoided/ 450 Sodium pyrophosphate 450 Sodium acid pyrophosphate 450 Potassium pyrophosphate 451 Sodium tripolyphosphate 451 Potassium tripolyphosphate 500 Sodium Carbonate A colorant...124 Ponceau 4R, brilliant scarlet AVOID Sodium nitrite (preservative, colour fixative) 250 AVOID Bloody charming. Why do they have to have all this weird shit in the food?
Great to see someone almost as passionate about food as us!. I'm sure if you had a look at the label you would see that everything you have mentioned in our deliciously gluten free Bacon Mash is in the bacon (just like any other bacon). As everyone knows bacon (aka the vegetarian converter) is highly tasty and much loved - hence our decision to add bacon to our mash. Our goal at Absolute Wilderness is to make high performance meals that taste amazing, are simple to use and avoid unnecessary preservatives. This means we only use the best ingredients and always look for ways to improve our products. We have a butternut mash coming out shortly which may be more to your liking. Cheers Andy
Not sure what happened to my elegant reply but here goes again. thanks, Andy. I've found a source of bacon free from unnecessary preservatives for you. Hendersons 100% Free Range Bacon 250g No Nitrates, Chemical Free, Manuka Wood Smoked, No added water cheers, Honora
or...you can make it yourselves! Home-made bacon Ingredients • 1 free-range pork loin (you will often find it rolled and tied with string so cut it free, unroll it and spread the loin out.) • Sea salt Take the pork and slit the fat on the top with several deep gashes. Get the salt and pat it all over the meat on all sides until they are well covered. Put it in a plastic container with an upturned saucer in the bottom so that the meat doesn't sit in the juice that will drain out of it. (We found a great Tupperware container with a grid in the bottom of the container.) Put the lid on and put it in the fridge. Check each day and drain any fluid which is sitting in the bottom. By day four it should be quite dry and ready to be sliced and fried. If you want you can smoke it at this stage for an even tastier bacon. This will keep in the fridge for a week or two. • You can add a tablespoon or two of brown sugar as well as the salt to add extra flavour.
Awesome cheers - we'll look into it.
I wonder if it`s as long lasting as the two packets of Alliance, freeze dried beef,curry & rice,dated April 1991,we found on the old airstrip near the Pyke Crossing the other day.The packet advised to consume within 3 years;we had a single serve for starters one night & there wasn`t a rush for the toilet paper.Real meat too.They don`t make `em like they used to.
Not tramping related but the office girl at a previous employer was updating the civil defence cupboard. She was throwing out 2 minute noodles that were a month or 2 over date. I told her that as long as they were in the same decade they would be fine. (well as fine as 2 minute noodles were ever going to be anyway) Freeze dry food has no moisture and normally heaps of salt or sugar so how can it possibly go off. Even sugar will act as a preservative in the absence of water.
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Buy / sell / exchange
Started by andyinthebox
On 3 July 2013
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown