Arc'teryx Bora 80 or Macpac Cascade 75

The time has come to get a new pack, but I am torn between two great packs and would like feedback from those who've used them.
22 comments
11–20 of 22

For me, I found I can move way quicker and cover alot more ground with a smaller load (I am only 5'7 and 70kg so not big guy) and my feet hurt less too :) My bag is a mont bell alpine down hugger, its about 650gsm I think for winter and it packs to about 1.5L and weighs 950gm which is pretty small. This stung me a bit, but is a kick ass bag. In summer, I use a rab 150 which is tiny, about 400gms or something. I always take a down jacket, summer or winter, makes a good pillow...and packs small for the warmth. I don't tramp wet climates alot, but I am looking to get a rain jacket, I don't want anything heavier than 100gm yea I guess you could say I am a little bit of an ultralite guy haha
100gm raincoat? you'd probably have to get a zpacks at 120gm. theres not much in that weight range its hard enough to get a sub 200gm coat sierra designs are bringing out an ultralight though,,, around 100gm
sub 100 gram raincoat is easy. 2 dollar shop plastic disposable. They do keep the rain out but apart from cost have little else going for them. Pretty much a single trip item if you are lucky
haha I was joking wayno but those jackets sound good, I might have to check them out
bivouac have the OR helium 2 on sale, 180gm....
Decided to keep my old Bora 80 for the odd family trip. Now more looking for a pack that is best for 2-5 day trips. So the choice is still between an Arc'teryx and a Macpac. The Macpac Cascade 65L and the Arc'teryx Altra 65. My one issue is that although the Altra is rated really well, I don't get to check it out before importing it. Bivouac seem to no longer be importing any of their packs and besides that, it'll probably be double the price of the Macpac. Has anyone imported one of these packs and can you give me feedback? Any feedback on the Cascade 65 would also be appreciated. Cheers
Both are good packs, had a bora & a cascade in the past, feel that the Arcteryx was a better quality/fitting pack. Though importing one could be quite pricey as you would need to go through Youshop, if you dont have a mate over in the states & I can say that I have been unpleasently surprised by the postage cost (from Youshop) of one or two of my purchases. The latest Cascade design doesn't grab me at all, reckon their Ascent is a better option. If you want other options, I'm now tramping with Gregory packs which are very comfy & high end quality. Check out their Baltoro 65 which is an awesome pack, with pockets galore for all your nic nacs. Excellent reviews from others put me onto them & they can be imported direct, (so no surprises from postage.) I also have a Deuter Act Zero 50+15 for when I want to go light weight. It's a very comfy basic pack that's great for 1-5 days & can be brought into the country for a really good price, shops in NZ don't stock it.
"I don't get to check it out before importing it. Bivouac seem to no longer be importing any of their packs and besides that, it'll probably be double the price of the Macpac" If I was faced with that choice I would just be asking myself what reasons I have not to buy the Macpac and only consider the Bora if the Macpac doesnt rate well enough. A pack has to fit right so buying one you can try first and have the salesman help set up has a lot going for it. I havnt tried the Cascade but have a Torlese which is lower down there price ladder and its fine for me. It came to a choice of that or a Mountain designs pack The Torlese on clearance so both within 10 bucks of each other. Both just as comfortable but the mountain design pack sat about 10cm higher at the top so would of got hung up on overhead stuff. A taller person might of made the exact opposite choice.
I have a three year old Cascade 65 as my multiday pack - can comfortably accommodate enough gear for a 5 day trip, but I have to strap tent fly on to the base and poles down one side. I find it to be very comfortable and stable in use - carries anything up to 20kg in relative comfort, and is nigh on bulletproof. I used to have an Osprey but could never really get it to fit right - the Macpac harness just works better for me. Bad points? There's no hang point inside for a hydration bladder (I use a carabiner but it's a bit of a dodgy fix), and the standard hip belt seems to be tailored toward the larger gentleman - I'm 5 foot 11 and 78kg and if I get any skinnier I'll no longer be able to tighten it up enough. The lack of hip belt pockets annoys me too, having got used to them on the Osprey - perfect place to stow snacks, camera, even a lightweight beanie. I now use a little zipped pouch with a belt loop on the back, threaded through the hip belt webbing. Good point made above about pack height too - the Osprey sits substantially higher at the back than the Cascade and I constantly snagged it on stuff.
Those hang points for bladders seem to be more trouble than they are worth. All my packs have them but I tend to just lay the bladder on top of everything. Put it in the pouch on the hook and its pressurised by the gear beside it and grabbing a sip of water turns into a high pressure mouth wash
1 deleted post from izogi
11–20 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by garth
On 12 May 2013
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown