Arc'teryx Bora 80 or Macpac Cascade 75

1–10 of 22

The time has come to get a new pack, but I am torn between two great packs and would like feedback from those who've used them.
I've got a Macpac Cascade. I'm actually on the 2nd version of mine as the first had a default in the metal frame which caused one of the shafts to break back in 2011, but Macpac replaced the whole pack, was very happy with the outcome. Fantastic pack, very heavy duty, it puts up with a lot of abuse. I backpacked around Europe with it as well as trips into the hills here, very comfortable and has good access to pockets and plenty of room for attaching things to the outside.
arc.teryx have a more flexible hip belt harness system . pivots on a rotating disc in the middle of the back moeves more with your stride and motion... highly rated packs
um, i may be incorrect. the altra packs have the pivoting hipbelt attachment... still the bora's have been highly rated in various reviews can't se it listed on altreyx's website anymore though, may not be in production anymore. http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/arcteryx_bora_80.html
i've got a cascade 90, it's OK, does the job. when i needed a smaller pack i switched to Black diamond packs. they have a pivoting hip belt and shoulder straps with dynamic lengthening and shortening with your stride as you walk, more comfortable. and much lighter but still tough.
I'm quite happy with my Cascade 75, although I haven't used anything else recently to compare to. I got mine cheap a couple of years ago when they were bringing out a newer model. Lots of places to put stuff on the outside without being too sticky-outy. Lots of room and I like having a separate sleeping bag compartment. It's so comfortable I often use it on day walks instead of my day pack.
wow you guys use huge packs. I use a cactus deep winter for everything (I'm a cheap bastard) and it works well for multi day winter stuff. Its a typical alpine pack with uncomfy harness but hey. If I had a 90L pack full I don't think I could carry it haha
I tend to take everything and the kitchen sink with me so I need the 90L capacity of my Cascade. Can never figure out how people get away with little packs and no gear lol
With you on that Yarmoss. Food, billy (with stove inside) sleeping bag, tent, waterproof is over 2/3 of an 85l pack. And I do not feel comfortable in winter carrying less than one complete change of tramping clothes plus some always-dry hut/tent wear. Never figure out how people manage with smaller packs: do they have amazingly compact gear?, do they take risks?, or do I run too much of a safety margin?
depends how cold the conditions are you're going and how much you're into lightweight gear as to how big your pack gets. i'm 90L with camping gear, 60 or 75 without, i'm not ultralight but a fair bit of my gear is on the lightweight side when its practical to take it... i think i could get down to 50 litres on an overnight summer trip if i'm using a hut... or if you're guaranteed to be wearing most of your clothes in bad weather you can get away with a smaller than normal pack.
1–10 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by garth
On 12 May 2013
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown