Track recommendations

Hi, I know that this may seem like a very general question, but I would really appreciate some ideas for hikes that would really show off NZ and its mountains. I've been browsing through the track database and there seem to be so many great routes to choose from and we will only have 1 month in NZ and wish to see as much of it as possible. Some key info: 1. Me and my wife are both experienced in hiking in various terrain, including highly exposed, difficult areas. 2. We are both fit and have no problems with altitude, long ascents, descents etc. 3. We have crampons and all sorts of gear that would be necessary for NZ conditions (snow, etc.) 4. Will be in NZ from 19 Feb to mid-March Like I stated at the beginning, I am aware of the fact that answers to such a question are highly subjective, but would really appreciate it if you could just write some of your "must-see/walk" tracks. Thanks in advance, Martin
29 comments
21–29 of 29

Hi @walkingeverywhere. You do need to take the NZ info in context of where it comes from. If it were in many other countries, much of Tongariro NP would have been restricted or completely closed for safety reasons a long time ago. New Zealand has an historic culture, represented in law, of public access to public land being given priority over government rights to lock people out, except when there are legislated reasons. According to NZ law, DoC can't legally close access to a National Park unless there's a bylaw for that park which says it can, in coordination with the current Management Plan (which goes through public consultation every X years). For Tongariro National Park, there's no such bylaw, so DoC can't legally declare any part of the park "closed". This is why you'll often see DoC strongly recommending against things, but stopping short of closing gates and telling people it's illegal to enter. National Parks vary widely, though---Kahurangi NP has more modern bylaws, and can effectively be entirely closed with a government official planting a sign out the front! (I find this disturbing.) Many non-National Park areas (like Conservation Areas) can effectively be closed easily by a DoC area manager (because that's how far down the Minister's delegated her responsibility), but in practice this rarely occurs. DoC frequently advertises that certain tracks are closed because it's simpler language for the masses than explaining the truth, but it's of dubious legality. If you want to know for sure, get a lawyer and have them argue with a DOC lawyer. If a track is actually closed, it probably means that the entire area which the track passes through is closed, rather than just the track itself, because otherwise it's still legal (if sometimes silly) to walk several metres to one side of the track. So in the Tongariro National Park sense, it's probably "your own risk" no matter what DoC says. You probably can't be arrested, charged or fined for doing it, because DoC isn't legally allowed to tell you not to (even if it tries). That said, I agree with @waynowski's points on this one. (You can and will be hounded and mocked and criticised in the national media, though, sparking knee-jerk calls from people who never visit the outdoors for the rules to be changed.) Please listen to DoC advice in this area, because in this case it's very well heeded. Volcanoes active in the way that Tongariro and Ruapehu presently are are very unpredictable. Unlike DoC's typical declared track closures, your life in this case is not something you or anyone else has any control over. If something of a significant probability happens when you're there, you'll just be screwed with no way out. By taking the risk you're also putting a whole lot of other people at risk thanks to their obligation to rescue you if anything happens, no matter what you declare to them beforehand. And more such incidents will just increase pressure on the government to give itself power to make lazy across-the-board closures for everyone so it's easier to prosecute a small number people who create problems. Enjoy your visit. It's an awesome place.
If a volcano is erupting there is a real chance that a helicopter wont be coming your way if your in difficulty. From Tongarero Crossing its a long walk for help to get to you They have to come the same way you did to get there. The guy caught on Ruapahu a few years back was extremely lucky as it was ski season and his mate was able to get help from a snow groomer. If it wasnt ski season or even if they were grooming a different area he would of died. As it was he lost a leg and hypothermia almost got him by the time they got him out. When Tongarero and Ruapehu are in the state they are now they have small local eruptions with no real warning. Only warning you get is a loud explosion if you are close.
ruapehu can shoot numerous boulders at high velocity up to several kilometres there is a large release of poisonous gas, if you're downwind without a respirator mask at beest you'll suffer severe lung damage, at worst you'll die... you'd be safer on the frontline in syria, i suggest visiting there instead if you want danger, you'll get a more consistent amount of it...
1 deleted post from izogi
True enough, @geeves. Rescuers won't unreasonably put themselves at risk, especially if there's no clear evidence that a person is still alive. They'll still weigh risks against possible outcomes, however, and entering a zone like the one around Tongariro National Park has very similarly random risks for rescuers as it does for people who might just go in on their own. Sometimes it's safer to just not be there if there's no good reason to be there.
the rescuers will stand back and watch as long as the firworks keep going on....
Ummm, somehow nobody noticed the smiley and the "(like a backup plan, if it's not possible to go up Tahurangi)." It's not my intention to walk up at all costs, but as somebody had quite nicely put it - there are lots of random risks and (this addition by me) it's a lot more likely that something completely different and likely quite "normal" will happen to you (you can slip, trip in an exposed area; fall into a river when crossing etc.). The actual risk of anything happening to you in a volcanic area is practically the same as for the volcano to erupt. Recently, when I was in Reunion, a "race" over the island's mountains had just finished (with the winner crossing the island in some 26h btw, incredible time for the conditions there) with one fatality, a person was found who either simply fell in a very unfortunate manner or had a heart attack... Considering the weather there and the speed, I'd venture the latter... My point is that a) I did not say that I was going there even with lava spewing, I would monitor the situation; b) I'm much more likely to die/be injured in the mountains in a much less spectacular manner c) Mr waynowski, please relax a little, I'm happy that you take your mountains so seriously, but comparing a volcano that might, could, some time in the future erupt with a war zone is a slight exaggeration.
there is currently a high buildup of pressure at this moment under the crater, lake, much higher than normal. it will erupt any time from now to the next few months. this is not normally the case with the mountain, anyone going up to the top of the mountain before it erupts is being reckless and irresponsible...
Hi @walkingeverywhere. NZ's volcanic zones are normally common places to visit, but when DoC and GNS (geophysicists) are strongly and unusually advising staying out of a safety zone, it means things are out of character from normal. Just keep an eye on the advisories as you've suggested and you're likely to be fine. Enjoy the visit.
Hi walkingeverywhere, I have to agree with the others here that you should probably avoid Ruapehu and Tahurangi. However, to get back to your original question, here are some of my recommendations: The West Coast of the South Island, particularly the Hokitika backcountry, has some awesome remote huts/tracks, and some great alpine routes. Your description of your fitness levels and experience sounds perfect for the West Coast. It is my favorite area. Mt Aspiring NP is also a great area, the Rees-Dart, French Ridge, and Young-Wilkin all come to mind. Nelson Lakes is another beautiful area, probably slightly easier than Mt Aspiring and the West Coast. I feel that I have to mention the Great Walks. I think that considering how experienced you say you are you would find the Great Walks a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, the are very beautiful tramps and are deserved of their popularity, but I don't think it is worth trying to do more than one of them. My favorite is the Routeburn Track. I say all this because I once met a couple in a hut who told the story of how they read online about how amazing the Great Walks were, and planned to do a few of them. They were also very fit and experienced and found that the practically paved tracks and huge huts were too "touristy" for them. Anyway, I hope this info helps. I can recommend some particular tracks/huts if you are interested. Have an awesome trip in NZ!
21–29 of 29

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by walkingeverywhere
On 10 November 2012
Replies 28
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown