Kawhatau Base road access closed

1–10 of 27

"Previously there has been vehicle access to Kawhatau Base through private land but this access is no longer available. Access is now by walking up the Kawhatau River from the Rangitane road bridge across the Kawhatau River. Please note this route may not be accessible during times of high river flow." http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/lodges-cabins-and-cottages-by-region/manawatu-whanganui/kawhatau-base/ This has been on the cards for a wee while and although many people have tried to find a way to keep this access open it has now been lost. In my mind access to the hills is the most important thing. If tracks cease to be maintained or huts removed it is still possible to get out there and enjoy the hills as long as you can get to them. Please be very well behaved if you use the Purity Road end access. Ring the farmer for permission! If this access is lost too that would make a large chunk fo the Ruahines significantly harder to get to.
That sucks. Any news on the cableway, and if it's being left there? There's probably little point if the river already has to be down for legal access.
I don't really know but suspect that it will remain until it needs some money spent on it at which point I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed. Also does not bode well for maintenance of the huts and tracks in the immediate area as it will be hard to justify the cost when presumably there will only be quite low useage. I have never walked up the river from the road bridge to the base but the DOC guy estimated it would take a couple of hours.
Interesting I crossed this part three weeks ago when I spoke to the land holder he was obliging if a little testy which could well be as a result of the pending decision. I suspect if you contacted him and offered to pay to park at Kawhatau base that he may be reasonable. Certainly wouldnt offend me to make a contribution to him as the access does drive right through his front yard.
I wonder if there have just been too many people showing up unannounced. There was a sign-in sheet at the gate, but I know they always still wanted people to call ahead first, and we'd show up with a sixpack or something along those lines. Last time I visited was to collect a couple of people who were a bit torn up from some bush-bashing and coming out where they hadn't intended, but I found someone near the gate and they were okay with me driving through as long as they knew about it. It'd be sad if the cableway were lost, and if non-river access generally were lost. The cableway's cumbersome to use if the river's down, but aside from getting over the river there's some great stuff you can still do around there in wet weather and light blizzards. Last time I was there for tramping, the river was up and the cableway broke (the drive cable ground through the middle of its pulley on one end) when a group of people behind us were part way across. Aside from the person they had to leave behind, the people behind us figured out an alternative leatherwood-bashing route down another spur off the Hikurangi Range onto the farm-land. We didn't find out until we were nearly at the cableway, and were nearly resigned to camping out for 3 days but eventually discovered a way to sidle around the edge of the river and clamber up a small cliff-face onto the same farm to walk back to that bridge. The occupiers were thankfully really good about it under the circumstances (and had been forewarned of what was going on after the guy stuck on the outside had spent the weekend making phone calls) and even gave us a ride back to the carpark on the back of the ute, but obviously it wasn't an ideal way to get out of a trip.
The property has been subdivided and is on the market. The section with the missink link in the legal road is in one section. Hopefully the new owner will be more kindly diposed. There is still legal access onto the ridge above kawatau base up 6 mile track) from the roadend. See wams for the route.
Thanks @madpom.
Was looking at buying one of the small blocks myself . It was in my brother in laws family farm for along time . There is always Mangakokeke entry which is owned by Richard Goringe, Pourangaki owned by Colin Thompson and Mokai Station owned by Joe Corpe (I think) . I can only see access to the Ruahines getting harder and harder (at least on the western side)as people are not respecting the wishes of the farm owners who own the stations that allow access to the ruahines . Plus it is always hard to get access during the lambing season . Seems alot of stock are getting eaten by pig dogs which is pissing alot of farmers off .
We were in the Ruahines over New Year, and used the cableway over the Kawhatau. It was in good working condition, although the wheel a little rusty. Were somewhat stunned to find that, on the way up the track from the cableway to Kawhatau Base, there was a handwritten sign saying this track does not allow access to the base. Were not sure where the private property boundaries started and stopped, but the track was marked with OTs. Was interesting to read that, back in the day, trampers were welcomed at the farm at the road end with a cup of tea and a hot scone. How things have changed. Can see from Kawhatau Base that there is a private plot at the end of the paddock, but the track up to Colenso is still all good, although there is a lot of windfall from up on the ridge. Lets hope that access can be renegotiated. Respecting the wishes of the farm owners who allow access cannot be that hard for us all, certainly not the trampers anyway.
I doubt any of the problems have originated from members here . Also unlikely that club members have caused the problem. Even Deerstalkers clubs go out of there way to follow the rules and requirements. Its the other 40% of people that cause issues or more correctly 1% of that 40% Its all going to be hard to fix now but easements should of been negotiated at the time these places were sold but in many cases that was 20 years ago or more and the famous "shel be right "attitude won on the day
1–10 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by stunted
On 6 November 2012
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown