Harrison Cove to Martins Bay

1–10 of 17

Hey I'm looking for a hiking partner to join me on a mission from Milford Sound to Martins Bay. I'll be looking at doing this anytime in November to the end of January. I work a rooster of 11 days on 9 days off so should be able to work out a suitable date to do this if someone is keen just let me know. Thank you
you might want to elaborate on the route you're taking and the terain involved so anyone considering it knows what they are getting themselves in for http://www.topomap.co.nz/NZTopoMap/nz14890/The%20Lion/Southland
Im gueessing its the route in Moirs Guide. Hardcore, by the sounds of it!
ok sorry about that! Yeah it's a route description from Moirs guide south. Can be done either Martins Bay to Harrison Cove or in the reverse direction, I'm easy either way. Martins Bay to Kaipo Bay. Kaipo Bay to upper kaipo hut. upper kaipo hut to top kaipo tributary. Top tributary to bottom of hanging valley. hanging valley to lake never never. lake never never to selwyn creek. Selwyn creek to harrison cove. I work at Martins Bay Lodge, so easy to organise jet boat across lower hollyford river etc Wanted to do it last year but could find no one keen to join me, and I wasn't to keen on going alone. Would be an amazing trip, especially the Harrison valley.
How long do you think this trip would take? The impression I get from Moir's is its 6 days from Martins Bay to Milford Sound. Plus 3 days to get down the Hollyford from Te Anau to Martins Bay. I would love to do this but I don't think I have the leave available this Summer as I already have plans. Next summer though...
you can fly too or from martins bay from milford sound, $500 unless you can find other people who wan to take one more
Great trip. I wish we hadn't been thwarted. That was back in 2002.Started with the Hollyford, boat to Martins Bay and walked the Kaipo. Ascended to John'o'Groats saddle before a weather warning brought us back to the hut in the Kaipo where we were trapped for two days. An airstrip a short way from the hut allowed the five of us to get out for $750(two trips). I have to finish it one day but i can't make it between Nov and Jan. Good luck
Yikes! Add in beacon and mountain radio hire, dehye meals and transport to and from Milford Sound = a second mortgage!
dehy meals = rip off..... you can buy at wholesale prices in bulk, direct from back country , but still a lot more expensive than rice and lentils...
I work at Martins bay Lodge so jet boat rides, bus to milford, backloads on flights can all be arranged! Rice and canned Tuna is all I ever take for dinner on missions, doesn't cost much at all! I Reckon 5 - 6 days weather dependant obviously. Would be an amazing trip, had it all planned last year but my trekking partner pulled out on my, I was gutted!
1–10 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by frodo
On 27 October 2012
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown