Harrison Cove to Martins Bay

Hey I'm looking for a hiking partner to join me on a mission from Milford Sound to Martins Bay. I'll be looking at doing this anytime in November to the end of January. I work a rooster of 11 days on 9 days off so should be able to work out a suitable date to do this if someone is keen just let me know. Thank you
17 comments
11–17 of 17

I could be interested if doing it in Feb was a possibility - I've got work commitments till then. I was reading about it in Moirs a few weeks ago and it sounds like my dream trip (except for the sandflies!) 6 days sounds about right for Martins Bay to Harrison Cove, although I can't say I'm a speed demon in the hills. It would be tempting for me to also add in the Hollyford beforehand too, as I've never been down there.
Hey! Unfortunately I am leaving my job at the beginning of Feb! Basically any time from now until the end of January is free for me, I work a 11 days on 9 days off roster so would need to arrange times etc I agree the trip would be amazing, especially upper Harrison Valley. I am also no speed demon, enjoy a steady pace but am capable of long days no problem. Maybe a late January into Feb would be possible for you?
Sadly Nov to Jan really don't work for me due to work & travel commitments. There might be a faint chance of being able to start at the very very end of Jan (would this work?) but I won't know for sure about this for a couple of weeks. It would probably be a good idea for you to keep searching for other trampers who could start earlier - but PM me if a late Jan/early Feb start were possible.
This is a trip that from entries in the Kaipo Hut book isn't attempted often. Having succeeded on the 2nd attempt, from Kaipo to Harrisons, give yourself with an added night or 2 for exploring the tops as a reward for the bush bashing required on both sides. We intended to but had to scurry across this section hightailing it from a S which was a shame. But the memories of the Kaipo in full flood were all too vivid. Recall the descent into the Harrison off a rocky slab, narrow entry and very steep. Trees provided welcome hand holds, one literally falling from tree to tree. The rock bivy in the Harrison that I couldn't see marked on the map was dry and a welcome relief from snow. We used the tour boat from the Pyke Lodge (liked the narrative) and arranged a pick -up with Rosco from the Harrison end through his booking office based in Te Anau. The pick-up didn't quite go to plan, but an inquisitive red boat saw us and got on the blower and Rosco was soon there. I recall Moirs suggesting a signal fire?? Anyway we carried mtn radio. All the best.
Hi. Just wondering if your trip to Harrison Cove ever went ahead over the summer? If so, can we get a report?
Almost springtime already and I'm starting to seriously daydream about a some tramping in Jan/Feb... Frodo's Harrison Cove to Milford Sound tramp (via Kaipo River, Lake Never-never and Harrison River) still captures my imagination, although I'm not sure Frodo is still working in the Hollyford these days. Anybody else out there tempted by the thought of a remote Fiordland backcountry trip? (I found out today that a Rabbit Pass trip might be on the cards for me in Jan! Assuming we actually survive that in one piece, I'd be keen for a Fiordland wander afterwards, although this tramp does seem fairly weather dependent.)
Frodo, I may be interested, certainly a modified route, will get the guide book out when I get home. I have the time, just got to muster a little more motivation. Murf
11–17 of 17

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by frodo
On 27 October 2012
Replies 16
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown