Best day walks

Hi everybody, Can you let me know your favourite day walks? Just working on a feature for the home page. Thanks!
dunno, do we want to point more people at the places we like to get away from the masses? tongariro crossing? thats already completely ruined by the masses most of the year, so everyone go and do the tongariro crossing and i'll go somewhere else....
Some Wellington favorites 5 mile puffer Wellington South Coast Pukeura Bay tp Plimmerton Climbe the back way
Most of my day-walking trips are near home because if I'm going somewhere further, I'd be more likely to spend a night or more. Without knowing what sort of detail you want, some favourite accessible stuff around Wellington: * Belmont Trig & crossing between Porirua and Petone. * East Harbour Lakes. * Skyline Walkway. * Makara Wind Turbines. * Wandering anywhere around Te Kopahou Reserve. * Kapakapanui (in the Tararuas from the Kapiti side) * Jumbo/Holdsworth Circuit as a daywalk (also in the Tararuas, more towards the Wairarapa)
My favourite day walks around Auckland: * Pararaha gorge as a loop walk from Karekare * Rangitoto Island * Mt Te Aroha (although the Tui mine loop is closed at the moment) * Mangawhai Heads walkway * Te Henga walkway
Around Dunedin: Sandfly Bay Woodhaugh Gardens and Ross Creek reservoir Pineapple track Bethunes Gulley to Mt Cargill Swampy Summit
Thanks for your input everybody. I am working on having a rotating feature on the home page, and I want to queue up some items for the summer. Best short walks will be one, and walks near cities will be another. Finally back at home post-EQC disruptions (although still surrounded by boxes). So between now and Christmas, you will see quite a few changes.
Mt Brown summit or just as far as the new hut return is a top day walk. It can be turned into an overnighter by staying at the hut. There is the option of making it a circuit walk by using both the Geologist Ck & Styx routes or just making it an up & back trip using either route. The cover photo of the new book "Shelter from the Storm" illustrates just how stunning the views from the Mt Brown tops are!
1/The Croesus track is another top day walk. 2/ Alternatively the Croesus - Moonlight tracks loop which sticks to the tops & eastern side of the Paparoas is a good walk. (this can be turned into a frying pan shaped loop from either carpark for the more adventurous thus negating the need to shift the vehicle or have a second vehicle) If 1 & 2 above are a bit far the trip can be turned into a two dayer by staying a night at the Ces Clark hut.
From Homer Hut on Milford Road - Talbot-McPherson Traverse. A strictly scrambling/alpine event, with tonnes of exposure. Scramble up Talbot's ladder to McPherson Peak - cross the glacier to Traverse Pass, down from Talbot to Gertrude Saddle and down Gertrude Valley back to hut. 6am to 2pm!! On a blue sky day, this is one of the best day "walks" in the world.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by matthew
On 23 October 2012
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown