backpack

hello everyone, I'm going to purchase a new backpack, but I'm heaving a hard time deciding what size I should take (I'm quite new in this field...). The hikes I will try will be not more than 4 days. I'm a woman of small posture, so it's unlikely that I can carry really heavy loads (leave that to the boyfriend :) ). At this moment I have a pack of 55L (but the frame is too large for my back). I checked the local store and basicly they have three options with good frames: 40+10L (deuter), 55L (macpac) and 65L (osprey), and off course they all have pros and cons not related to size (weight, price)... what should I do??
The first priority should be fit. The harness is what makes it comfortable to carry and warrants the attention. I would go for the biggest pack i could feasibly get as long as fit is right. You can make a big pack smaller with the compression straps but it would be wrong to try to overload a smaller pack and compromise the fit of the harness. Nb.a smaller pack doesn't usually have a harness designed for heavier loads. The hip belt may sag and concentrate load instead of spreading it. Cheers Aardvark
I would go for the most comfortable pack and the lightest available. Many packs available in NZ weigh 2kg heavier than alternative light weight American models.Check out these sites www.golite.com www.ula-equipment.com
I would suggest the Osprey Atmos series, really good and really light. Have you looked at the new Gregory range, again another excellent brand, and available in NZ I believe.
Do the light-weight models hold up well off-track? I've had a non-urgent eye open for a nice pack for about 18 months, but durability's one of my concerns given that my Macpac Glissade that's not *very* old (~3.5 years) has the odd tear in it from infrequent pack-dragging and probably catching on the odd thing, and some fraying around the harness. The duct tape's holding it together fine but if I replace it with something more comfy, I'd like to get something that'll stand up to a bit.
Obviously the lightest ones, like the Osprey and Gregory, are not as durable as some of the old nuclear bunkers you can buy, so it's a trade off I guess. You'll probably ending buying twice as many but think of the comfort you've enjoyed in the meantime.
Canvas and synthetic are the two options. Canvas is often more durable simply because the synthetic ones focus more on attracting sales through lighter versions and a lighter one will have thinner fabric. Synthetic needs to have a lamination on the inside to be water resistant whereas canvas relies on the cotton content being reproofable. A laminating layer will eventually de-laminate through flexing and abrasion and a synthetic pack will be near impossible to reproof. I have many packs. One model is available in canvas and weighs 1kg heavier than the equivalent version that is made in a 40 dennier nylon. It is a 90lt pack but the key thing is i'm comparing apples with apples. The nylon version was never intended to last as long even though the retail price was the same.
My lightweight vaude pack has heard up well and I have done quite a bit of bush bashing with it. It is not going to last forever like a Macpac canvas pack but it is going to last long enough for me to consider it good value for money

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by marit
On 19 August 2008
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown