lost on te araroa

good things this guy in the news article below had a locator beacon, could have saved his life http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/tramper-attempting-walk-length-nz-rescued-5098358 i spoke to an american who had come to nz to walk te araroa... she wasn't expecting the track to be so hard to find in places. she gave up in northern northland after looking at the "track" and speaking to a ranger on the condition of the tracks up there... she had also gained the opinion somehow she would see the best scenery in nz on the trail..... big misconception there there must be a fair few who travel to nz to do the trail and find the same thing, for some rason the trails reputation isnt matching up to reality, whether its people not doing enough homework or there isnt enough information being made widely available that the track will require navigation skills at times in thick bush....
It's people not doing their homework. http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=topic&id=413&messageid=2714#message2714 I can't fathom anyone embarking on a major long-distance trek without thorough research, but it happens all the time. The info is out there -- easy enough to find with minimal research...
yes these people dont do enough research. the overseas trampers are often used to tracks that dont have issues from being overgrown. they assume a track in another westernised country will be the same easy to find track since it's a well publicised track te araroa was a concept from a new zealand tramper. they launched the track as a completed track , a tramping track in parts. but new zealand tramping is different from a lot of overseas places.... the fact is there may never be enough money or volunteers to keep the entire trail in good condition.... it only got a tenth of the fifty million allocated to cycle ways which seem to have gained a lot more publicity in recent years... probably be safer to tell people who arent experienced in navigating in thick bush to take the national cycle trails instead.... te araroa isnt something that i've found interesting enough to do . possibly a good thing it doesnt go through more hard tramping country or more inexperienced people could get into trouble... build and market it and they will come.... and thats what they do regardless of what the track is like because it's been publicised. overseas think nz, shangri la of outdoors adventure....
Plenty if New Zealanders screw up in New Zealand too. Aside from media anecdotes, is there clear evidence that such incorrect presumptions are directly related to visiting from overseas?
i never said nz'ers don't stuff up. it just happened my comments were related to the news article and my impressions of overseas visitors on the araroa.
I wouldnt mind doing it one day. Just havnt got a spare 2 weeks to do it in. People also think NZ is a small country so think it is a day trip especially as it has a break in the middle
two weeks? what are you on, and where can i get some.???
Fair go... he's probably going to jog.
same stuff as that shot putter. Just need lots more of it. Even NZers dont know how long this track is without a little research first. 3 months would of been a better answer Te Araroa - The Long Pathway - is a continuous 3,000 km walking track from Cape Reinga to Bluff. Te Araroa will provide the ultimate 120-day New Zealand through-tramp, but will provide also section tramps lasting anything from a few days to a week or more, and many attractive day- or overnight walks. It is a different kind of trail from the traditional back-country tramping tracks. Te Araroa connects settlements, townships and cities. It's a corridor that encourages social and economic transactions en route – for marae stays and other cultural experiences, also food and accommodation. The track corridor will showcase a wide variety of New Zealand experiences - natural, cultural, and historic.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by waynowski
On 23 September 2012
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown