gloves

1–10 of 14

Easy question and a lot less discussion worthy than my last topic. All the good books recommend a pair or knitted wollen gloves with a pair or gortex or similar over gloves or mittens. This does work well. Or it least it did untill I lost my mittens. Actually I lost one mitten and glove rendering the other one useless. The gloves are cheap but the overmits are worth a fortune. I also have several pairs of perfectly good ski gloves that are plenty warm enough on a ski field and cost a fraction of what the proper gloves cost. Is there any reason not to use ski gloves?
you'd have to check if the ski gloves are waterproof. not all are I saw bear grylls in one of his man vs wild episodes using a pair of kathmandu ski gloves.....
Is it all that important that they are waterproof? As long as they are warm
non waterproof gloves get saturated and cold too easily.
Always carry them almost never wear them. I get uncomfortable when my hands get too hot which is about 5 minutes down the track even on the coldest day i walk hot. Having said that the exception would be in driving cold rain on the tops for this i have a pair of neoprene fishing gloves with a pair of icebreaker inner's. keeps my hands dry and about the right temperature still they come off pretty quick.
i have a thin pair of softshell gloves if its not raining or not too cold otherwise i have a waterproof pair that are well padded.
Sounds like question answered Ski gloves are out New pair wooly gloves and overmits in
I'm a big fan of the fleece gloves with thinsulate. The thinsulate layer makes them pretty much wind proof but they breath a lot better than the windstopper fleece gloves and are a lot cheaper (around $20 to $25 from memory). Can be a bit tricky to find as not often stocked in the standard outdoor stores, in PN tararua workwear sell them. I don't use overmitts with these as even though they get wet by blocking the wind chill my hands stay warm enough. I find that if you are wearing waterproof overmitts for any length of time in the rain your gloves will still get wet. The big hole at the top doesn't help but even if you tuck them artfully in under your rain coat sleeves the water still gets in through the seams. Have a friend who wears industrial type rubber gloves which don't have any seams so if well tucked up under his raincoat sleeves keep his gloves dry for a long time.
I got cold (and possibly wet) hands on a tramp once and my polypropylene gloves weren't doing much. Someone lent me some thinsulate gloves and within five minutes I had to take them off because my hands were TOO warm. I bought some thinsulate ones from Postie Plus of all places, not sure if they're as good as the ones I borrowed but maybe I'll get some overmitts as well...
Good news. I found my mitten It hadnt fallen out of the pack when getting the coat our at the road end it had fallen out when packing the pack and the wife found it under the bed. Will still upgrade the acrylic inner gloves to wool though. Now how do I cook pie in a tramping hut
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by geeves
On 17 July 2012
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown