Rees-Dart tramp

1–10 of 22

Looking to do this tramp in November and was wondering if anyone has got any tips? If anyone is also interested in coming along, please feel free to get in touch.
hi,did this tramp in 2005 it is still my favourite . If I were to do it again would have an extra day in Dart hut and hike up to Cascade Saddle.Lots of nice scenery with mountains and yellow tussuck grass,or there was in March when we always try to go . Enjoy
Thanks Kate, glad to hear you enjoyed it. Will probably take your advice and take the extra day, sounds well worth it. Thanks again.
Hi Norm, just posted the new pics of the Rees Dart. Will email you the others. Cheers. Peter.
Thanks Peter They look great. Can't wait to get there.
G'day - we're planning to walk the Rees-Dart next March. I've heard there's a (commercial) 4 wheel drive service from Glenorchy that goes beyond Muddy Creek carpark on the start of the track. Does anyone know any details? Google didn't yield much, cheers Peter
G'day - I'm from the North Island in Australia, NSW. We tramped the Rees Dart in 2005, starting from the carpark, after the bus from Queenstown via Glenorchy, and did see 4wd tracks for a while. They gradually petered out, saw someone camping about there, but have no idea who runs it if it is commercial. I reckon the walk in is great, so start from the carpark. Cheers.
Hi peter.grant how is the planning going?
Can this tramp be a loop? Can't remember if the website was google, wises or mapmyhike, but it looks like it could be. The distance from Chinaman's Bluff to Rees is between 10-18km. 10km if you can take Camp Hill Rd all the way to Rees, 18km if you have to go the longer way. The map shows a trail from Camp Hill Rd to Rees but I suspect it must private land or something?
Just looking at Camp Hill Rd on Google earth and it is only a paper road. No road exists on the ground. Just farm land. Even if you went that way you would still have to cross the river. Far better to go back down to the bridge. The best idea is to leave your car in Glenorchy and get the shuttle bus to drop you off at Muddy Creek in the Rees and then pick you up again at Chinaman's Bluff. That saves a lot of road walking.
1–10 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by normclimb
On 29 July 2008
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown