Rees-Dart tramp

Looking to do this tramp in November and was wondering if anyone has got any tips? If anyone is also interested in coming along, please feel free to get in touch.
22 comments
11–20 of 22

Yea pmcke is right no road there guys, its a long walk round if you want to get back to your wheels...like he says use the shuttle service its what all the punters do and seems to work well, they have regular pickups from muddy ck and chinamans bluff. BTW you can get up to about 1.5 walk below shelter rock hut in the Rees by 4WD.. 4WD Adventures, Dart Safaris or a number of the other outfits will drive you out there but will cost you a bit I imagine...for what its worth just walk from muddy ck. It is all farm basically to the end of the 4WD tracks the Rees has a horrible lower valley that in early summer can become almost one big knee to waist deep bog :) its not the most pleasant valley to hike..all farmland.
the beautiful Dart valley makes up for it...
Hi Norm. Just wondering how you got on getting to the start of the Rees-Dart from Qtown? Did you have to bus/shuttle it to Glenorchy and then shuttle from there to the start of the track or is there a service that goes from Qtown all the way to the start? Am doing this with friends in Dec. Also did you jet boat the last bit out or plod all the way to the road end?
Hi Lisa We got the shuttle from Queenstown all the way to the start of the track at Muddy Flats. We also got the return bit from the road end as well. Great tramp and well worth the shuttle price. Nice though it is I wouldn't have fancied walking all the way from Queenstown as one guy we met on the track did. Hope you have a great time and look forward to seeing some great pics perhaps? I'm still coming over next March and still undecided as yet as to where to tramp, so if you, or anyone else is interested please do get in touch. Have fun.
Great, thanks Norm. Do you remember what the shuttle service was called? Not finding much on Google. I can then call them and find out more info, and no def not planning walking from Qtown, Im keen but not that keen! Still potentially keen for March as I'll be taking leave early Dec and not at Xmas and will be well due another break by then. Will keep in touch. Thanks!
Hi Lisa http://www.infotrack.co.nz These are they Good luck
Sorry one more question. Do you know anything about the boat ride out from Sandy Flat? Is it one you have to book or does it just show up at regular intervals (like the one at Nelson Lakes?). Might be a nice alternative to finish the trip with.
Awesome thanks for that link, just what I was looking for!!
Not sure. I think maybe you have to pre arrange? We certainly saw them and were tempted but as we had already booked our return leg on the shuttle we gave them a miss. Would have been a nice way to finish I must admit. Looks fun. The bus is a some tiresome journey, though a welcome relief at the same time. Keep in touch about next March. Would be nice to catch up.
Counting down. Three more weeks to go. Am quite excited :-)
11–20 of 22

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by normclimb
On 29 July 2008
Replies 21
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown