Boots - Gore Tex or not ?

Whats everyones opinions on Gore Tex boots , seems the older trampers don't like them and the newer ones do . I personally have Bullers most of the time and Scarpa SL's for serious mountain tramping, they are not Gore Tex lined, but I love them and I have never had Gore Tex lined boots so would like to hear everyones opinions on them . Cheers .
56 comments
31–40 of 56

Nought wrong with jandals Ive done many easier trips in them but not with the club. They look on them funny. Wouldnt wear them though if there is going to be a lot of mud or snow and I did have one washed off my foot in a water crossing once. Biggest mistake was trying to catch it. Stepped in a hole spraining ankle that took months to settle. Jandals breathe much better than gortex. Just need to find some steel capped ones for work
I recall going up the Tasman Glacier to climb one of the Minarets. Julian Sykes was going to climb Malte Brun I think. He was wearing jandals on the glacier and was the fasted moving thing in the valley.
Anyone familiar with Scarpa SL Activ or Zamberlan Baltorro? The day has come I can't avoid buying boots for any longer. The lining of the La Sportivas fell completely apart in the Kaimanawas / Kawekas last weekend, and the soles of the Meindls are down to slicks. Having looked around, the choice comes down to 2: Scarpa SL Activ (glenj?) Zamberlan Baltorro Scarpa is lined in some supposedly tough fabric. Zamberlan is lined in leather. Can anyone shed any experience on either boot: - Durability - Amount of 'stretch' to expect - Flexability in the sole (I want no flex in the toe if possible due to a past foot injury) I'm tempted by the Zamberlan - looks like a better made boot. Unfortunately I'd have to order this one from overseas as I seem to be a half-size on their scale, which I can't get here. Other (non gortex) suggestions also welcome. (I've looked at bootsnz but so far can't face what looks like such a big step back in comfort ...)
Madpom I can't really offer any suggestions except get some custom made from BootsNZ which I've suggested before. They are very comfortable once broken in but that can take up to three weeks. I'm going to need another pair of boots shortly to alternate with my BootsNZ Trampers. Currently I've been using Skellerup Forestry gumboots which I find good but too hot once the wx warms up. I've wondered about Scarpas but haven't used them. Also wondered about Haix boots without vibram soles. Has any one used them? What durable non gortex, non vibram sole boots are out there?
Anyone tried 'Andrew Footwear'? Looking at their 'to-order' list they have a wide range of boots with a choice of linings including leather and a choice of soles. Am I dreaming?
I have Gore Tex Scarpas - thought I would be upgrading with lined boots. Ha! The water still gets in through the seams and they take 3 days to dry. However the fit is good.
So if the Meindl,s have worked why change? I am in the same state my Meindle,s are on their last legs and change will happen in the next six weeks ive looked at them all and cant get past the fact that my last boots have performed so well why change?
The meindls: Took at least 3 days to dry when wet Lining started to tear after 3 months Rand started to peel off after a month or so - cut to shreds by sage grass. Ended up cutting it off as it was flapping. Soles too soft and wore quickly. Rounded and stopped providing adequate grip for mud after abt 3 months. Finally sole not stiff enough and gave me trouble with old foot injury when toeing going uphill Last was worst problem and reason i'd never go there again. But is a problem specific to me. Found them about on a par with asolo 535 but $250 more expensive
I have had some of those issues but figured that similar things would happen with other boots. My wife bought me a boot dryer from the states that has fixed the drying problem. Didnt have the same problem with stiffness of sole worked ok for me. My biggest issue is finding a boot that is wide enough for my good old kiwi feet. I suspect that my once a month efforts dont quite measure up to the pounding you would give boots in the course of a working week but have enjoyed the support these have given me in the past 4 years. I am not completely averse to change so watch these comments with interest.
@debk909: How stiff are the soles now you've used them a bit? If you stand on just the toe, does the boot flex under the ball of your foot, or stay rigid?
31–40 of 56

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Gaiters
On 11 June 2012
Replies 55
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown