Cactus Miklat

I really like the specs of the Cactus Miklat pack, its made from Canvas so should be robust, is a light 840g and is competitively priced. Does anyone here own one, and how is it for tramping? Does it matter that it lacks a chest strap?
Here are the specs http://www.cactusclimbing.co.nz/online-shop/tramp-&-walk/miklat/80-88
yeah i find packs a pain when they don't have a chest strap. puts more pressure on the shoulders, the shoulder straps will tend to move outwards towards your arm and you have to pull them back in
I don't find the sternum straps quite so important on a daypack, at least not as much as hip-belts, as long as the shoulder straps can be adjusted independently so they're a more snug fit (without being too tight). I do use them but occasionally I've found sternum straps to be annoying if they flap around lots even when done up---I've been wacked hard in the face more than a few times on windy days. The photo doesn't obviously show a hip belt but the spec says it has one, so I guess it does. Also is this a top-entry-only pack? Earlier on I wasn't so sure, but I've found when buying daypacks I actually enjoy having several ways in (top and bottom at least), as long as it's a single compartment. After trying a few different types I prefer just having a zip at the top instead of a lid because it's much quicker access to all the junk without necessarily needing to stop and put everything down. I think this is all because with a daypack it becomes more likely that I'll want most of the things I'm carrying at some point in the day, and extra weight is less of an issue because it's only a daypack anyway. Durability around the opening/closing points is important, though. It's different with overnight packs where I'll nearly always have a pack liner inside (which makes extra entry points obsolete dead weight for starters), and there are often things that I'll never want until stopping for the evening, so it's fine to cram them down the bottom. Anyway that's just introspective, and obviously others' experience may vary. I know some people prefer the lid designs.
I brought a second hand one off Trade Me about 6 years ago to use as my everyday bag for work, day walks etc. Used a Macpac Kestral previously and was looking something similar. It's being brilliant, a robust simple pack (a bit like me as some would say, well just simple actually). Installing some bungy across the pack between the compression straps provides additional storage options for fleece or raincoat, and it really does fit into aircraft over-lockers and those hand luggage testing frames at airports. The rectangular shape maximises pack volume and makes packing easy. The canvas shows little wear and seems quite water resistant in the time I've had it. The only things that I am not sure about (that may well have been improved on since) were the really thin foam back padding (requires careful packing of pointy stuff), the water bladder pocket was very small (I couldn't get a 2 litre bladder in) and the point where the hose goes through the lid appear flimsy (but haven't broken yet, possibly because I haven't used them much). I've used it for a couple of overnight tramps into huts over summer and have just managed to fit a minimal amount of gear into it. The webbing waist strap is useful for stability but not particularly weightbearing (not an issue for me). It could be made narrower because of that. In regards to sternum straps, I find them very useful to prevent the shoulder straps (from most packs) from sliding off my shoulders, and would like to see one on the Miklat, but all I do is tie the loose ends of the shoulder straps together when necessary (not often). As another option, look at the Macpac Kakapo 35 litre day pack as well. Similar style pack but has some differences. Currently on sale for $125 if you're a club member, although the Kakapo is made overseas if that is a consideration.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by militaris
On 6 June 2012
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown