Alcohol stoves

1–10 of 24

Since the weather is looking bad this weekend I am going to build another six stoves that will make ten for the week. Too much spare time I think...
Cool. Are you innovating or have you found the perfect stove? I bought my sister a commercial one from Trail Designs as it can convert to a wood burning set up but we haven't found the right size pot yet - Duh!
I have got the perfect setup it uses two aluminium billies that nest and have individual windscreens and burners. I am working on a setup for day hikes now. I have the design sorted and templates to make as many stoves as I can drink......
Does anyone know where to buy carbon felt in NZ? It's used as a wick in alcohol stoves. Might also be called flame protector or heat cloth. Also methanol [high purity] in 1 or 2 litre containers for use in alcohol stoves. Also called wood alcohol, methyl alcohol, or wood spirits.
Google tells me RC Hobbies (Auckland ?) sell methanol to remote control enthusiasts. Not too sure about posting rules, but Bivouac don't post fuel. Perhaps if you have a speedway racing group in your area they have supply on tap ?.
As a long shot, woodburners use some sort of mineral fibre as a seal between the firebox and door. Maybe contact a manufacturer like Masport to see what you can get hold of.
Fruitbat, why are you intereted in using methanol in alcohol stoves? Ethanol has a higher energy density, much more readily available (as meths), cheaper and much less toxic.
I like the way the context-sensitive advertising accompanying this thread is offering me a range of drug and alcohol abuse counselling
Hadn't noticed, but, yeah, you're right !. What do they say about Google ?. "If you're not the purchaser, you're the product ?"
Advertising????? Is there advertising? firefox with adblock and flashblock is my friend
1–10 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by pennystove
On 27 April 2012
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown