Boots

1–10 of 16

Gidday. I recently bought Tiber NGXs from Kathmandu to replace my old Tibers. First time out after 10 mins my feet were on fire. After a cpl of hours my sox (2 pairs of woollen) were pretty wet from sweat and even the insides of the boots were wet. This doesn't happen with my old ones - I checked to be sure. Has anyone else had a similar experience? All this 'new technology' which 'Wicks the water away' is all very well but there seems to be no way it can get out of the boot. I'm planning on walking the 800km Camino (in Spain)later this year and would like to avoid blisters. Keeping the water out seems like a good idea but what can I do if I wear them for 4 or 5 hours a day for days on end. Any recommendations for boots that won't overheat and have a degree of waterproofness would be welcome.
Horses for courses, I think ?. Not familiar with your Tiber boots, but generally I'ld wear all leather with minimal stitching, on Alpine where the concern is rocks cutting softer materials. If I'm river crossing, then I wear something with gore-tex or similar, that let the water out, and wear socks that hold less water. I also don't wear 2 layers of sock. Sorry I can't give you The Answer.
if they were still dry on the outside, TAKE THEM BACK they arent working as they should, get a boot with a gore tex or event membrane or a columbia omni tech membrane, mountaindesigns sell columbia. be aware once teh boots are saturated with water on teh outside they won't breath at all till they dry out, nylon boots dry out faster. avoid kathmandu branded boots if you need something to really last, they dont have a good history with tehir own branded footwear, pretty hit and miss as to what you get , no way of knowing how good the company is that is actually making them since kathmandu dont make the gear themselves... if you buy cheap boots, dont expect them to perform or last well...
I'm no expert, but did you get new socks at the same time, or are these socks tested with earlier boots?
ngx is pretty much the same as gortex. I have a coat made of the stuff. It works ok. What are your socks made of. I wont wear anything not mostly wool. This is even my good socks in my office style shoes. There are a lot of acrylic socks around that look and feel like wool but where a woll sock can take a cup of water and feel dry the acrylic you can dron a teaspoon of water on and they will be saturated
Cheers guys. Thanks for your contributions. I've always worn 2 pairs of socks - always woolen - but may try with just the one pair. These boots are said to be leather but maybe.....and they were reduced from $500 so I expected reasonable quality at this price. I don't expect to be crossing rivers in Spain but they say it rains a lot. I think I'll take your advice waynowski and take them back on the grounds that they're 'not fit for the purpose'. Cheers.
"I don't expect to be crossing rivers in Spain but they say it rains a lot." Mainly on the plain ;-)
Aren't you supposed to walk the Camino barefoot? The pilgrims going up Curagh Patrick in Ireland certainly do: scree, snow, ice and all
They may have walked the Camino barefoot once upon a time madpom but seen it mentioned in any of the stuff I've read about and by 'peregrinos' of the past 10 years. Maybe they're tougher in Ireland but the distance and time it takes is a bit shorter. Cheers
They may have walked the Camino barefoot once upon a time madpom but seen it mentioned in any of the stuff I've read about and by 'peregrinos' of the past 10 years. Maybe they're tougher in Ireland but the distance and time it takes is a bit shorter. Cheers
1–10 of 16

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by GrahamK
On 14 April 2012
Replies 15
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown