Cameras and Introductions

I've been enjoying this site for a while and decided to sign on and get involved. Seems to be a really nice group of people; so hello, my names' Tony :-) I'm impressed with the quality of some of the pictures people are taking on their treks. I enjoy photography and I've got a monster DSLR with heavy zoom, but it seems a bit overkill to carry on the trail. I'll sometimes use the camera on my mobile phone though - the Hipstamatic app for the iphone is a hoot. What cameras do you guys use?
43 comments
31–40 of 43

http://www.dpreview.com/camerareviews/
The rugged / waterproof cameras seem to all have lenses that do not protrude from the shell of the camera - any movement for zoom, focus etc is internal. This limits the distance between lens and the sensor matrix onto which the image is focused to 10mm-15mm for the above 2 cameras. Presumably this restricts the size of the image / sensor array, or requires a strong lens to enlarge it sufficiently for a larger sensor array - both of which I'd expect to reduce the image quality. My guess anyway.
Several generations ago, back when Olympus and Pentax were the only companies in the Ruggard camera market I was very interested in getting a pentax, but my fingers were to big and I kept placing my finger over the lens leaving finger prints. Pentax has updated the model several times since then, so things might have changed.
mapom - that makes sense. bullet proofing the case introduces a significant number of limitations that won't be a factor in other cameras where the emphasis can be placed on everything else.
Just me, but I actively decided not to bother with a shock-proof waterproof model unless I could find one that out-did everything else available with or without those features. (I didn't on the occasions that I've been camera-shopping.) If I'm paying on the order of a few hundred dollars for a hand-held camera, I decided I'm still fairly happy if it'll last a couple of years of taking photos as I like them. I kind'a figure that shock-proofing is less relevant if you're successful in not dropping it, and likewise with water-proofiness if you make a good enough effort to dry it out when necessary. Loosely, two or three years as a mostly dedicated tramping camera is about how long mine have lasted on average. I do make a vague effort to look after it as well as I can, but I don't avoid taking it out at any time I want a photo, including heavy rain (and I like taking rainy photos). The exception might be around significant river crossings, where I'd usually make sure it's at least sealed in a zip-lock plastic bag before going too far, and that might limit my ability to pull it out in the middle of a river.
I agree izogi, My Canon Powershot S2IS is nearly 7 years old and still goes fine, it has been taken tramping, kayaking, freshwater and saltwater fishing and still holding up. Although I do take care of it, shelter it in heavy rain and keep it in a case when its not being used. More amazingly, I just realized that I have a set of rechargeable AA batteries which are nearly 7 years old and they stil work fine....
That's the difference in 'requirements'. From experience I know that if I have a camera in my pack, I take no photos. If I have a camera on my pack-strap, I take photos. So irrespective of the lab-test quality of the images of the two cameras - in reality a camera that can live on my chest-strap through whatever weather and bush I take it through takes better photos than a quality one that remains in my pack throughout. Maybe a quality camera and a hard case would be another solution. Is that what you have Militaris?
Same here, definitely, and it's a main reason I prefer a hand-held camera. I've tended to keep mine on my hip-belt in a zip-lock bag which I usually only close if it needs it... it tends to get wet inside the bag if I pull the camera out in the rain, though. It's in a small slightly-padded camera bag but not a hard one, and that's also clipped onto the hip belt with a toy carabiner because I don't trust the velcro. I *have* found, though (counter-intuitively at first), that things seem to be very protected around the front of my hip and chest. It seems I rarely go crashing through the bush chest or hip first. Usually it's head first or feet first.
The small point and shoots are excellent quality these days and easily fit onto small pouches on pack waste belts - I use a Canon S90 for this purpose. However, if you want better control of depth of field, to isolate subjects for example, with out of focus zones in front and behind, the subcompacts have such a small sensor that everything is nearly always in focus. This is desirable often of course, but does limit creative options. This is where a larger sensor shines, either in a DSLR or the EVIL group of cameras (eg Sony NEX, Panasonic & Olympus), or a fixed lens camera like the new Canon G1 X. I am far from ready to dump the large DSLR but do pine for better quality and more flexibility in the camera carried up front. Alan
Electronic Viewfinder with Interchangeable Lens (EVIL) I'm learning a great deal about compact digital from this thread, it's fantastic. Thanks for sharing guys.
31–40 of 43

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by triggerfish
On 13 April 2012
Replies 42
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown