Cameras and Introductions

I've been enjoying this site for a while and decided to sign on and get involved. Seems to be a really nice group of people; so hello, my names' Tony :-) I'm impressed with the quality of some of the pictures people are taking on their treks. I enjoy photography and I've got a monster DSLR with heavy zoom, but it seems a bit overkill to carry on the trail. I'll sometimes use the camera on my mobile phone though - the Hipstamatic app for the iphone is a hoot. What cameras do you guys use?
43 comments
21–30 of 43

I suspect the Olympus EM-5 would be the best part of $2000 locally, that is with the weather proof kit lens. From what I hear they are struggling to keep up with demand, so I doubt the price would drop anytime soon but I do hope to get one. The FT2 has several advantages over the EM-5, its much more compact and would continue to work if you drop it in the river. Plus its around a third the price. Sadly there is no perfect camera, They are all just a bunch of compromises... although same are better at making these compromises then others. Here is a review of the EM-5 , still waiting for one of the main review sites like DPreview, DCresource or imaging-resource to publish theirs. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review
Hi Waynowski, Thanks for the comments about the Canon G1X. I would like to hear more about what you think of it for landscape use (on a tripod?). I use a 5DII with 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 lenses and am getting tired of all the weight. Maybe the G1X might be the solution I am looking for for the longer more arduous trips. Thanks, Alan.
Have had Olympus E3 for quite some time now. Virtually bomb proof but no light weight. Also Olympus Tough for quick shots where I can't be bothered extracting the E3, or if I want a quick video. I will definitely be looking at the OM-D E5. Big weight saving to be had, plus video. Which in turn will no doubt have me thinking I will be able to carry another lens, thus removing any saving on weight. Occasionally if I know where I am going and there is a particular shot in mind I will also carry my Agfa Record III. Add an extra kilo and a bit to everything. Built in 1953, 6 x 9 centimeter format. Brilliant for landscapes, all manual, no batteries to go flat, but a fine weather camera at best. I am always overweight on photo gear, which causes me to curse at swear at my stupidity at times. But in a discussion with Hogsnort not so long ago at Crosbies Hut we agreed that if you tramp for photography then you should take the time to do so. Horses for courses where camera gear is concerned we all have our preferences and reasons for carrying what we do.
Has the Panasonic Lumix range improved since its early models? I remember checking out reviews (with sample photos) shortly before I bought my Canon Powershot A710, which was about 5-6 years ago and not long after Lumix was released. Its main selling point seemed to be a great optical zoom and Leica lenses. On the specs alone it looked close to exactly what I wanted, but when I looked at the photos blown up, they seemed very grainy --- irrespective of the resolution --- as if the camera's internal post-processing couldn't figure out its colours properly. When I bought the camera I did, much of it was because it seemed to do this so much better, it made what I thought were better decisions about all sorts of things automatically without me having to spend too long setting up a photo. I don't really know enough about digital cameras to know what's going on here with the post-processing, though, or if there's a specific name for that graininess. It might have been because Panasonic was only just getting into digital cameras at that time, and that could easily have changed by now.
Does anyone have one of the Pentax WG-1 or 2 cameras? http://www.pentaximaging.com/waterproof-camera They're available for under $500 without GPS and about $575 with. I was reading a review that said there will always be a tradeoff between ruggedness and image quality. Why would that be? Cost perhaps?
I think its due to the type of flat zoom lenses which they use to make them easy to seal. Check out the Sony Cybershot TX10, should be avaiable for under $350. If my memory is right, DPreview rated it highly, the only downside is the fact that touch screens are difficult to use when wet. Panasonic cameras have improved immensely, they did suffer from higher then average noise for a while but they seem to have gotten it under control. With a few exceptions, until recently every top 'reviewed' camera was either a Canon or a Panasonic.
hogsnort i dont use a tripod, camera takes great landscapes without one, if you get a full profile i can email you some pics i took on the queeen charlotte. or send me a message on waynerclark at gmail dot com i was pretty happy with the shots managed reasonable panoramics doing handheld only the camera is around half a kg in weight, it does reasonably well in low light in the bush. frankly the shots look like the work of an SLR camera... as i mentioned i wanted the panoramic functionality hence getting this camera over other models that can perform better. i've got a sony nex 5 but theres less flexibility with the panoramic function on those and the quality of the shots was a lot more hit and miss, you cant do much about the automation of the panoramics
i think the lumix's struggle in lower light with the small sensors, mate of mine has a leica dlux 3 which was also a lumix model as well, gives very nice crisp images if the light is good.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind when I next go camera shopping. My first impression of Panasonic and Lumix had really put me off them for a while.
Have the Pentax WP2. Find image quality is much better than the Olympus Mju which was the main competitor - resolution (no. of pixels) was not the issue with the Olympus, but actual focus (lens quality?). Pentax has no lens cover, which has not caused problems yet, but worries me for scratches. It is a lot harder than the Olympus to do basic manual things like adjust the exposure, apperture manually if you're looking for increased depth of focus or if image is too bright / dark - but it is there in a menu somewhere. Generally quite happy with it and certainly an improvement on the Olympus.
21–30 of 43

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by triggerfish
On 13 April 2012
Replies 42
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown