First aid and safety gear

Hi, Just wondering what you have in your first aid kits. Do you start with a commercial one and then add things? I am looking at a couple I've purchased in the past: a small REI one and a larger Kathmandu one. The REI one includes antibiotic ointment, antiseptic towelettes, gauze pads, various plasters, fabric tape, scissors, a fairly extensive book on outdoor first aid, and a few varied tablets. Pretty spare, but it's only intended as a day walk kit. The Kathmandu one is clearly designed for multi-day trips and contains crepe bandage, a triangular sling, scissors, tweezers, one safety pin (seems a little ridiculous), several alcohol or cleansing wipes, gloves, various plasters, non-adherant pads, an Omnistrip wound closure, and a card which doesn't look very helpful. Apparently I have added to this a few electrolyte sachets, a few varied tablets, and some Nexcare Stretchfix underwrap. So what do you take? What do you think of the MSC lists here? http://www.mountainsafety.org.nz/Safety-Tips/Outdoor-First-Aid-Essentials.asp
Heart
50 comments
31–40 of 50

an idea for the 1st aid kit is a needle with a triangular point also a couple of plastic cable ties can be very handy for splints etc
Ok. I've curious enough to admit my ignorance. Why a triangular point?
from wikapedia sub-variety. Leather: Also known as glovers and as wedge needles, these have a triangular point designed to pierce leather without tearing it; often used on leather-like materials such as vinyl and plastic. Sailmaker: Similar to leather needles, but the triangular point extends further up the shaft; designed for sewing thick canvas or heavy leather. sounds like the better choice if its live leather your stitching
the triangular point on the needle allows you to cut the skin when getting out splinters and you can also use it as a drill through the finger or toe nails to release pressure
another item that should be in there is a whistle i carry an old girl guide one that is very loud
the whistle should not be in the first aid kit as it needs to be accessable. I had mine on one of the pack zips untill someone suggested it should be on one of the loops on the pack strap so it can be used with the pack still on. Ive ended up cast between two logs once after a fall and needed help to get up. Haveing a whistle anywhere else in that situation would of been useless.
Personally my leather point (triangular) needle is a must have! I don't have a medical kit but a more all round 'survival' kit that contains my bandages etc. One item I haven't seen mentioned this far is dental floss. It's strong, clean and can be used for stitching together either your pack or yourself, or even for getting that stubborn bit of biltong out from between your teeth ;) Strong pain killers have been mentioned and I always carry a good supply of codine. Mostly I solo tramp and I think I would rather load up and walk out on a badly twisted ankle than set off the EPIRB!
only tried codeine once. DFont know why but the result was nothing happened. Ill keep to ibprofine based tabs. The gell ones are magic if you can find them
you can get pain killers that are a mixture of codeine and ibuprofin for stronger results...
Codeine works better if you take panadol with it at the same time. (You can add in ibuprofen or diclofenac as well). The over-the-counter codeine only contains 8mg per tablet; if you get it on prescription for a broken leg it will be 30mg or 60mg per tablet. The effect from codeine is thought to be from the proportion of it that is converted into morphine. Some people lack the enzyme that does this, so codeine won't work for them.
31–40 of 50

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by matthew
On 19 February 2012
Replies 49
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown