First aid and safety gear

Hi, Just wondering what you have in your first aid kits. Do you start with a commercial one and then add things? I am looking at a couple I've purchased in the past: a small REI one and a larger Kathmandu one. The REI one includes antibiotic ointment, antiseptic towelettes, gauze pads, various plasters, fabric tape, scissors, a fairly extensive book on outdoor first aid, and a few varied tablets. Pretty spare, but it's only intended as a day walk kit. The Kathmandu one is clearly designed for multi-day trips and contains crepe bandage, a triangular sling, scissors, tweezers, one safety pin (seems a little ridiculous), several alcohol or cleansing wipes, gloves, various plasters, non-adherant pads, an Omnistrip wound closure, and a card which doesn't look very helpful. Apparently I have added to this a few electrolyte sachets, a few varied tablets, and some Nexcare Stretchfix underwrap. So what do you take? What do you think of the MSC lists here? http://www.mountainsafety.org.nz/Safety-Tips/Outdoor-First-Aid-Essentials.asp
Heart
50 comments
21–30 of 50

I would never tramp without my duct tape! Just wind some round your walking pole, its invaluable from assisting to splint to mending plates/tents ect! : )
I would never tramp without my duct tape! Just wind some round your walking pole, its invaluable from assisting to splint to mending plates/tents ect! : ) and dont forget the antiflammes ie Ibuprofen or Voltarene.
Na mate: strapping tape rules. Way better adhesion! And breathable.
Hey, MP. Is that the white zinc oxide tape?
No. Like the stuff fabric plasters are made of, only without the absorbant pad. Comes in a roll. Get it from pharmacy. Tough as. Sticks to anything. Used it to fix boots, gaiters, packs, me.
I have a similar list to the earlier ones, but wanted to mention a couple of things I have found useful. 1. Antihisan cream (I'm allergic to the sandfly bites and this stuff works a treat!) 2. shoelaces - although perhaps not technically a first aid item, they can be put to all kinds of uses in an emergency situation 3. Survivor buff - I usually take one to keep my hair, rain and sweat out of my eyes during the walk, at night I use it to go over my ears and eyes, keeping in the earplugs, keeping light out of my eyes, sandflies off my face and the cold at bay! On a recent hike however I found the best use so far. I sat down and caught the bottom of a set of antlers on my jacket. The top antler swung over hard piercing me in the head. Although it was just a small hole, it bled quite a lot. I pulled out my first aid kit and thought about what to use. I got out a pad to soak up the blood, but wasn't keen on using a bandage around my head to keep it on. My daughter suggested just using the buff and it worked perfectly!
Ah ! I see !. A 'Survivor Buff' isn't a new technology Buff. It's just a print-pattern style as worn on the Survivor TV programme ?. Still, sounds like a useful lightweight thing to have.
Exactly! Honestly I personally find it to be very useful - I just keep it in my hair as a hair tie when I am not really "using" it. I seem to find another way to use it nearly every time I walk!
Frank's got a buff and he raves about how warm it keeps him round his neck. He has a long neck, like I do and loses heat from it. It is great for regulating his temperature. I have a scarf instead.
Buffs are great. All they consist off is a long piece of polyester/lycra tubing, but you can use them in so many different ways. They keep the sweat out of the eyes and off the glasses, and protect the scalp where there isn't hair anymore... The branded version retails for $40, but Macpac have a version called Yowie on sale for $15 presently
21–30 of 50

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by matthew
On 19 February 2012
Replies 49
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown