Will a Garmin GPSMAP 62 position in thick bush?

1–10 of 13

Hi all, I'm thinking of purchasing a Garmin GPSMAP 62 (or 62s) but wonder if the new high sensitivity models can actually provide a fix from under the canopy of the thick west coast bush? My old etrek is next to useless unless I'm in the open, which is hardly ever!
I don't see why it wouldn't. The high sensitive antennas are very effective.
I've found that when on a trip it's best to first turn it on where there is a good clear signal. Once it 'knows' the general area it's in then it seems to work ok under bush canopy.
My Etrex H works well under heavy bush cover in the Tararuas even when down in the bottom of valleys so I would think that the newer GPS should be fine.
Cheers for the feed back guys :)
1 deleted post from izogi
Well I'm considering getting myself an eTrex 30, more because I've been encumbered with a big fat gift voucher that I have to spend than because I need it. It'll depend if I can find a shop that sells what I want that also accepts the voucher. After checking the feature specs again, on paper it looks to me that with the updated ranges, the top of the line eTrex models are still better value for tramping and value for money than the top of the line GPSMAP62 models, mostly because they're smaller and lighter and have longer battery life whilst having all the same features, but it only counts *if* you're okay with the smaller screen size. This is fine for me, but I know it isn't for everyone. Have I read these specs right, or am I missing something? Here's a 4-way comparison which includes an older model eTrex Vista HCx and GPSMAP60CSx to indicate the feature differences in the newer line. http://bit.ly/wCeg7P Also, look at the weight difference. If you go from a GPSMAP60 to a GPSMAP62 line (ignoring the new camera models right at the top), they've added another 50 grams from somewhere. Not much in the scheme of things, but you'd hope you get something for it. eTrex on the other hand has lost even more weight in the new generation. Something I saw in a couple of reviews was that the newest models (GPSMAP62 and eTrex 30) were judged worse for track accuracy than the more mature (older) model GPSMAP60 and eTrex HCx. The reviewers put this down to sloppy firmware in new releases, which would probably be improved upon over time and maybe that's already happened. I guess that's one of the things you risk when buying a new model.
I have a Garmin 62S and it always keeps signal, even in the deepest of canopy cover, I have used it all over the Tararua and Ruahine and never lost signal . Though I would take the 20+ hour battery time with a pinch of salt, mine last more like 8-10 hrs . I tend to turn it on at the carpark and leave it on until I get to where I'm going for the day . So to be safe carry two AA batteries for each day in the bush, adding weight again . I find the altimeter a really nice touch . I would recommend it . As long as you have a topo map and compass aswell ofcourse .
The KiwiGPS site lists some not-so-good features of the eTrex 30. http://kiwigps.co.nz/product.php?id_product=209 I see that it has slower USB1, whereas the 62s has faster USB2. I am considering the eTrex 30 for the same reasons as izogi -- smaller and lighter.
That's interesting, @Gaiters. Even the Garmin specs reckon you should be getting about 20 hours from a 62S---it's strange that you're only getting 8-10. What type of batteries do you use? I reckon I get at least 23-24 continuous hours from my eTrex Vista HCx (which is just approaching the spec value), but that's not even with Lithiums. It's with 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables. I do make sure the back-light stays switched off. Mostly it's just sitting inside my pack, and another trick (which I often forget about) is to disable the electronic compass. Thanks for the link, @iangeorge. The more complete side-by-side comparison between the GPSMAP62S and the eTrex 30 at the end of that page is very helpful.
I use dick smith 2500mAh NiMh rechargeables . I will look into disabling the compass, had no idea I could cheers .
1–10 of 13

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Pedro1964
On 8 August 2011
Replies 12
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown