Best place to buy boots

1–10 of 21

I'm looking to buy hiking boots for my wife and I for some upcoming tramps and a trip to South America next year. The Tongariro Crossing, Milford Track and Inca Trail are on the current ‘to-do’ list. Where would be the best places to look for boots? I’m keen to be able to try on a range of boots and be able to compare the options before making a decision. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I guess it comes down to the boot itself. I have tried the following http://bootznz.com/index.htm the tab on the website for sizing shows how to measure your foot to have boots made. Price is comparable to ready made.
At the risk (aim?) of kicking off another discussion about synthetics vs full leather, what type of boots are you looking for? I bought a new pair just last week (from an outdoor shop in Melbourne) - the previous, full leather Vasque Summit, after 1500km of fairly severe tramping finally needed renewal. The leather uppers were in reasonably good condition except for the crease at the toes - cracked through, sewn up and split again. The soles, however, had worn to almost smooth. Al in all, I reckon they had done a fairly good job - so I bought another pair - some small design differences but nothing too variant. At 900g each, these boots are toward the top end of the weight range of full leather - but they give me the protection (water, foot, ankle) that I'm looking for. Synthetics are lighter and wear more quickly. The more panels and stitching, the less robust. Everyone's needs and feet are different - try on lots.
there's this fellow who sells all sorts of boots at good prices on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=433764 he is located in Greytown, but he will do a 7-day trial by post. he has both used and new. good luck!
Dont know where you live, but in Wellington I always find Gordons in Dressmart (Tawa) worth a look. He has all of last years boots there normally around halfprice and hes a really nice guy! I bought a pair of Merrell Vibrams there about 7 years ago, and they are good boots, have given them a few hidings in the Tararuas/Ruahines and even took them on the Annapurna trek in Nepal. Good wetsuits too if your into surfing.
FrankB, I am interested in your link to BootzNZ. I use custom made boots from McKinlays because I can't find any ready made boots wide enough. What model boots have you purchased from BootzNZ? And how have you found them for tramping?
Iangeorge, I have had a pair of the Franz for about 3 years. Used for just about everything but not as much tramping as I would like. I went for a custom made pair from BootsNZ because they show how to measure your foot on the website. The longest point on my foot is not as shown but at the second toe. Consequently if buying ready made boots they are always somewhat oversize to accommodate this fact. Thus ready made is not always a comfortable all round fit. I am more than satisfied with the boots, they are moulded to the weird shape of my foot and have removeed the compression on the second toe which for many years has caused problems to the point that the nail now grows in a curve over the end of the toe.Mostly because normal shoes pose a problem as well. I like the full leather, and its good quality, a bit of a scrub up and the old type Dubbin after each trip has kept them in top condition.
"I bought a new pair just last week (from an outdoor shop in Melbourne) - the previous, full leather Vasque Summit, after 1500km of fairly severe tramping finally needed renewal. The leather uppers were in reasonably good condition except for the crease at the toes - cracked through, sewn up and split again. The soles, however, had worn to almost smooth. Al in all, I reckon they had done a fairly good job - so I bought another pair - some small design differences but nothing too variant. At 900g each, these boots are toward the top end of the weight range of full leather - but they give me the protection (water, foot, ankle) that I'm looking for." I hope your right on this one. Just went into hunting and fishing in Alicetown and they had one pair left and they fitted Sold them to me for under half the price on the box. I got 3 years out of some early Vasque Zephers which were also full nubruc leather but a lot lighter so these should be good
Sounds like a good deal, geeves. Mine were A$300 and I’m happy with that. I reckon the full grain leather wears better than nubuck leather so hopefully they will last you longer than your other pair ! (how many km are in 3 years?) First walk in the new boots is this weekend – some good short off-track climbs and a good weather forecast – should be a good test.
I bought mine (SCARPA) from Macpac clearance store in Christchurch, full leather and have served me fine for the last 3 + years, on average one over night tramp per month & a multi-day trip per year. Do recommend to try them on a few times with different thickness of socks and walk around the shop. I foun it help to choose the size and fitting. Goo luck with boots hunting.
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mountain Goat
On 8 August 2011
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown