Best place to buy boots

I'm looking to buy hiking boots for my wife and I for some upcoming tramps and a trip to South America next year. The Tongariro Crossing, Milford Track and Inca Trail are on the current ‘to-do’ list. Where would be the best places to look for boots? I’m keen to be able to try on a range of boots and be able to compare the options before making a decision. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
21 comments
11–20 of 21

I've bought boots from both the Greytown "TradeMe" guy & "BootsNZ" in Christchurch over the internet. Both outfits were good to deal with and cheaper for equivalent boots than in the shops. Because of the nature of tramping/work I do the commando sole with full leather uppers styles available from BootsNZ suit me better than the vibram sole with light leather or synthetic uppers. On average I get double the life out of commando sole full leather boots than vibram sole boots. The commando sole boots are the equivalent price or cheaper than the vibram sole ones which last half as long if you're lucky here on the West Coast.
If anyone's interested in lighter boots, I've been happy with my ionmask Hi-Tecs. They weigh 548g each and cost around $240 if you shop carefully. I've bought a second pair for when mine wear out. No sign so far although they have lost that wonderful waterproofedness. They don't absorb water from the outside so stay light and dry quickly.
I am visiting Christchurch for a few days and I intended to visit BootzNZ while I was there. But when I checked their address I discover they are now in Whangarei. Oh well, they are still in the same place in the virtual world. Maybe I will visit them in Whangarei one day. Maybe I could combine it with bagging Motukawanui hut on Cavalli Island if I could just figure out how to get there?
Hello, BootNZ sounds very interesting. However, I prefer to try a boot before I buy it. Is there any recommendable address in Auckland or surroundings? Regards
Another thing. Which of the three hiking boots of BootNZ would you recommend me for a two months trip all around New Zealand? It will be my daily shoe and should be suitable for all the possible tour in NZ, from mountain tours to walks on several peninsulas etc. Regards
A pair of the Trampers were my first "proper" tramping boots as a teenager (having used bata bullets to that point) and they were abused but lasted incredibly well. Just keep them treated with snowseal or similar.
Hibiskus, the "Tramper" boots from BootsNZ would probably be best for your purpose. Mine bought earlier this year on the net were NZ$250 plus $10 p&p. They are going well. The first pair of these I had was back in the mid 70's and they lasted incredibly well. One drawback you might find is that they take a while to break in. Some people also find them heavy but for me they are lighter than the very durable BootsNZ high top "Logger" boots I used to wear. (as shown in my profile picture) The Loggers used to last for upwards of 120 days of fieldwork and I've never struck a vibram sole boot that has lasted anywhere near that long. [My mate has now worn out his Kathmandu light leather vibram sole boots after seven trips. They were a replacement under guarantee for a pair that only lasted three trips. He has given up on them & is trialing some Asolos & hoping for better durability. Maybe sixty days?] So in summary "BootsNZ" Tramper boots are durable cost competetive boots. They are great if you don't mind a heavier type of boot and are prepared to break them in. By the way I'm not involved with BootsNZ & have never met any of their staff. I'm very interested in boot durability because I've had so many dissapointments over the years with boots lasting only a few months. It was good to discover a few years back that BootsNZ/Frames are still operating even if only by mail order.
Thank you both for your opinions on the tramper boot. I actually contacted the people at bootsNZ and asked them for a recommendation as well. However, they recommended me this [1] tramper boot instead of the tramper from BootsNZ page. Do you reckon I should rather follow their decision? Though I like the tramper from BootsNZ because it has a screwed sole. [1] http://www.lastrite.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=1013_1018&products_id=568 Regards
Personally I'd pay the extra $35 & go for the screwed sole boots which will have a stiffer soles. The boots you linked to don't look as heavy duty as the other "Trampers" but I can see why they recommended them if they are going to be your daily shoes as well. Either of the "Tramper" boot styles should outlast your two month trip.
A while back I posted some info on boot durability & a photo. This can be found by using the Photos tab then /Boots/Buggered Boot.
11–20 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mountain Goat
On 8 August 2011
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown