Overnight Tramp Wellington

Hey folks, has anyone a suggestion for an overnight tramp in the Wellington area? Happy to drive for about 200km one way. Have done the Mt. Holdsworth Jumbo Loop and it was fantastic. Unfortunately I have no ice axes and crampons and new to the area and am unsure about the conditions above the bushline for this time of the year. Any help greatly appreciated.
Tutawai or Cone are an easy reach from Kaitoke and keep you below snowline Feilds is a short trip but good. Kime could be risky with this weekends forcast as could Alpha What part of wellington are you in? HVTC meet tomorrow evening in Waterloo and we have a couple of trips into the Orongaongas this weekend
Some other suggestions with huts to stay at: Kapakapanui: short loop but steep in places. If weather is clear you get a great view of southern tararuas. Waitaewaewae: From Otaki Forks 5-6 hrs in bush. Avalanche Flats: Nice walk in nice bush valley to nice hut after very long winding road. Waiopheu: nice walk up bush ridge from Poads Rd 4-5 hrs. Mitre Flats: Easy walk in 3-4 hrs along river valley Blue Range/Cow Creek: 6-7 hrs from Kiriwhakapapa Totara Flats: another pleasant trip along a river valley to a large grassy river flat and nice new hut. Sayers Hut is an option with character. There are probably many more but these are the ones that come to mind that shouldn't be badly affected by winter weather.
nzbazza:"Kapakapanui : short loop but steep in places" Do you by any chance mean in ALL of the places?
There are two places where the trip isn't steep. The top and the bottom of the hill...
I humbly stand corrected. Actually it's short enough that if you just walk and don't really stop the entire loop is doable in about 3 hours (without even running). The not-really-stopping thing is probably the hardest part of that, though.
Kapakapanui is pretty overgrown unless its been cleared recently...i almost spent an unplanned / unwanted night in the bush there! reckon there are nicer tramps on nzbazza's list than this one. 200 km one way would almost get you into the southern ruahines too? maybe look up the rangiwahia loop and sunrise hut, they are nice easy tramps with beautiful bush and nice huts and shouldnt need iceaxe & crampons! Look up Aorangi Park too, I havent personally tramped there but have heard good things (although might be nicer in summer)
Thanks folks for all the great trip suggestions. Can't wait to get out there!
Be cautious with Tutuwai Hut, because recent rumours are that it's just been squashed by a tree, whatever that amounts to. Still waiting for this to appear on the DoC alerts website, and I can't be bothered calling DoC right now.
Confirmed -- DoC says in the July 12th alerts: "Tutuwai Hut has sustained major damage due to tree fall and is closed until further notice. (Wairarapa Area Office Ph 06 377 0700)"

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Nator
On 5 July 2011
Replies 9
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown