Boots for a Mexico expedition

1St post and I hope I'm not breaking any rules. Our 16yo son is participating in an expedition to Mexico with a group from his school. We've been sorting his gear out and got most of it sorted with the exception of his boots. He's been advised to get some breathable yet waterproof boots. We went out yesterday to a few stores but the level of service and advice failed to instil any confidence that they were interested let alone knowledgeable enough to advise. We went home empty handed very frustrated and a little concerned. It's not my area of expertise but I know it's critical we get something that's appropriate. Otherwise it will jeopardise the entire exercise. We're happy to pay for quality advice and product. I've asked the organisation managing the expedition for their input but can anyone here point us to a store in Auckland (preferably eastish)staffed by people who know what they are talking about? Cheers in advance....
I think your experience with customer service is pretty spot on these days - I find the smaller more boutique the store, the better the level of knowledge/service - but the more expensive the product - versus better prices - less service at the bigger stores - Living Simply in Newmarket will offer great advice. What I do - and this is because after some trial I know what i want - I tend to shop around either in NZ or offshore (with the exchange rate you can get some good deals) - I use Meindl GTX Vakuum for winter tramping and Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX Trail Running shoes for summer tramping - I purchased both of these offshore at considerable savings from RRP in NZ (Backcountry.com) and (Cave and Crag UK). For your son - he really needs to get fitted before you purchase - and decide whether the support of a boot is necessary - or the convenience of a trail shoe - they weigh less, water drains from them easy and they dry quicker - so I would try Living Simply in New Market - and then with their advice you could purchase from them (or shop around)...... if you do go to Newmarket to Living Simply there is also a Bivouac Store, a Macpac Store and Kathmandu in close proximity - all of who stock boots - customer service not sure :)
Thanks for this. I don't think buying online is an option for us - we need to ensure sizing etc is spot on. Looks like it'll be a trip to Newmarket for us. Yes, I work in the customer service training field and I'm used to receiving garbage service. I do try to stay out of "mystery shopping mode" but yesterday was a shocker. We were there actually asking to be sold to and the staff were about as useful as chocolate teapots... Really appreciate your input - cheers.
When it comes to boots, the thing that really matters is comfortable. Everything else pails into insignificance really. I don't know much about Mexico but if it is rocky, then you want foot protection. I look for a stiff sole. Just bend the boot, you will see some are not so stiff. I doubt he will be in snow so you won't need anything expensive. I tend to use cheaper boots these days. I have only spent $300 max in recent years. If you are in mud you want good tread and a heel with a good instep.
Keep it in the back of your mind, though, that if you get something *very* stiff, they might take some time to wear in to avoid lots of blisters. Boots vary, though. Breathability and water proofness also aren't necessarily everything, despite what might be advised, and I often find those labels hard to interpret on this side of the Pacific. As pmcke suggested, I'd personally take comfort above everything else, and I'd take breathability over water proofness. Water can always get in over the top, but breathing tends to help water and sweat get out again.
Thanks for your help on this. The recommendation to go to Living Simply was spot on. Knowledgeable folk who were keen to help as were Mountain Designs directly opposite. Wallet is quite a bit lighter but very confident he's got what he needs.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Dagwood
On 9 May 2011
Replies 5
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown