Best tracks that are NOT great walks?

Hi, I have 3 months to go tramping in the South Island and I just learned that Great Walk huts are $52 a night, which means it will cost between $200-300 for a walk!!!! I could possibly walk off season, but am not sure about winter conditions? I have no winter tramping experience. But either way, I'd like to try non-great walk tracks to save some money but am not sure what tracks are as amazing as Great Walks. Does anyone have recommendations for non-Great Walk tracks with alpine and/or coastal views? I like having views!!! I'll be hitchhiking around, probably from Christchurch, heading west through Arthur's pass, going south towards Queenstown and Fiordland, looping back up along the east, and then ending the summer in the northern parts of South Island. If I decide to do Great Walks off season to save money, I may head back south to do some. Thanks! Thomas
I can't comment on the best places to go, but you'll probably save lots of money on the hut tickets for the non-great-walk huts if you look into getting a Hut Pass, which costs $92 for 6 months. It'll tend to pay itself off if you're planning to spend more than 6-8 nights in huts, depending on specifically where you go. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/backcountry-hut-information/fees-and-bookings/hut-passes/ Just keep in mind that a few very popular huts are still on DoC's booking system, and a hut pass doesn't usually count.
Just an update on my track experience; I've done a few day hikes around Australia, but only started doing multi-day hikes a few months ago while in Tasmania cycling on my bicycle. I hiked the Tasman Coastal trail with Cape Pillar - 4 days. Fraycinet - 2 days. Walls of Jerusalem with Lake Meston - 4 days. Cradle Mountain via Scott Kilver Memorial Hut - 2 days. Mt. Field West upper circuit via k-col and rodway ridge and tarn shelf (excluding the peak) - 8 hours. I tend to walk slower when alone, but medium pace when with another person. I'm quite fit, but my knees don't seem to work well after 4 days of walking, so I've just bought myself a set of hiking staffs with camera mounts, will replace my monopod! I'd like to try up to 6 day hikes. I'm not sure if I can do longer as I eat A LOTTTT, about 750g to 1kg a day of food (I'm just 5'5" 64kg but have a high metabolism). I try eating 200-250g muesli for breakfast, 150g of nut mix + some spoonfuls of peanut butter + a packet of 95g tuna for lunch, and either 200g couscous with dried peas/corn or soup mix (barley, lintels, peas, beans). I tend to drink 4-5 liters a day which includes water for my muesli and cooking dinner. I don't like cold! Gives me nightmares.
Queens Charlotte track as a alternative to the Abel Tasman Coastal track. Quite a commercial and civilized walk, so unless tenting probably more expensive then a great walk. Travers - Sabine Circuit in the Nelson lakes national park. Wangapeka / Karamea tracks, a good alternative to the Heaphy Track. Although, could be lacking in alpine/coastal views. St James Walkway, Mt Richmond Alpine trail. Most technical of the walks I have recommended.
St James Hollyford Rees/Dart Wilkin
The great walk tracks are there for those looking for a wonderful experience but once you get the message, like you have, you will realise that there are many more wonderful experiences to be had for a cheaper price by doing other trips. You just have to do a bit more research. This site is a good place to start. Also look at the DOC site http://www.doc.govt.nz In addition there are plenty of guide books describing other trips. Non Great Walk Huts are often just as good as the Great Walk ones, the onlything you won't find in most is cooking gas. Some of the examples mentioned here are only the beginning. With your fear of cold, don't worry. Cold is a lot easier to deal with than heat. Just go and get yourself some good thermal clothes and a good sleeping bag. You can always layer up with more clothes. Have a great time and the hut pass is definitely the way to go.
Take a look at the coastal route from Cascade (south of Jackson Bay)to Martins Bay then link with the Hollyford track out to Te Anau. Allow 8 days approx. If you enjoy coastal scenery and wildlife you will enjoy. Read the route details in Moirs Guide North. I did this tramp in Dec 2010 and would be happy to share experiences in detail.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by azntwboy
On 18 January 2011
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown