Tahurangi Mt Ruapehu - How hard is it??

Hiya All Im planning to climb Tahurangi from Turoa ski field, end of summer climb. Anyone done it before?? Any hints?? How hard is it?? Ive done taranaki a couple of times but the difficulty level of Tahurangi seems a bit of a mystery to me as it is all dependant on experience i guess. Info on the internet on this climb is very little in comparison to Taranaki. Any info would be appreciated Cheers C Cheers
28 comments
11–20 of 28

G'day, not yet, we are planning to do it in two weeks time. Weather permitting, I wonder how long this good weather's going to hold.
Some of us have been to the Dome Hut but none of us have been to the summit. From the map I have downloaded it appears the way up is to follow the chair lift by the Winter Garden and then go up Skyline Ridge or a little to the left of it to the summit. I heard yesterday from the Ohakune Visitor Centre that there is little snow on the mountain so crampons should not be needed. Are you going up with a group?
If you're planning to go up the Turoa side, you should double-check that the road's open. A few weeks ago, at least, some summer maintenance meant it was closed to vehicles from not far past the DOC campground just outside Ohakune.
Thanks for that. It is open now.
Hi I and another went up to the Dome from the Whakapapa side last weekend. We'd intended to go from Turoa to Tahurangi or Girdlestone (more a climb than a tramp) but the gale southerlies suggested going from the north. There were big patches of snow (in fact, we went up the Whakapapa glacier to see what it was like at this time of year) but it would have been possible to stick to the rock if you went up the straightforward way. It was whiteout and strong winds at the top - not pleasant at all - while quite nice down below about 2200m (this was Saturday - Sunday was awesome weather on the whole mountain, despite having the identical forecast of Saturday) On the way out I got a good look at the skyline ridge to Tahurangi and from a distance it looked like plain rock just now. But there was a lot of snow/ice still left on the Mangaehuehu glacier (to the right of the skyline ridge). Also, I note it's probably going to snow down to about 2000m tomorrow (Friday). Whether it's new or old, I wouldn't be surprised if you found there was still snow and ice near the top of Tahurangi. There's a webcam with photos of Ruapehu from the south, good views of Tahurangi, available here: http://www.unique-art-gallery.com/gallery/webcaml.htm cheers PE
We climbed to the summit on Saturday 13 March. The weather was marginal. The wind was forecast 60km at the top and it was at least that as we walked and crawled along the ridge toward the summit. The visibility was good when we got there and kept that way till shortly after we started out decent. You can see the Crater Lake in my photo. The photo has cut half of me out when I uploaded it. Crampons would have made it a lot easier going up and down as we went up a gully with hard packed snow. We could just manage to dig our boots in. On the way down one of our party slipped and was lucky to stop after sliding some distance. I would definitely take crampons and an ice axe if I did it again.
I am considering climbing Tahurangi next February from the Whakapapa side going to the Dome Shelter down to and across the glacier above the Creator Lake and then up to the summit. I know one person who has done it. Have any others done it and if so how difficult did you find it and what time of year did you do it?
Aardvark and my plans to reach Tahurangi were thwarted by the weather, rain and gale winds. On the Wednesday we decided to head to Ruapehu anyway on the Tukino side, as we had downscaled our plans to do the summit. We ascended to the 2200m mark where Aardvark gave me some instruction with the use of crampons and ice axe. Now im just waiting for the right weekend to have another go.
The doom and gloom forecasted with the weather early last week collided in time with my visit to the north island. The lost time on the mountains paled in significance to the success in our own gamble to take a peak at Ruapehu from the Tukino side. Knowing we had little time before the weather lowered we still managed a visit to the base of the Mangatoetoenui glacier. It revealled a surprisingly simple access route to the summit crater. It basically meant someone was pushing us in the back on the return to the car. The highlight of my visit was the genuine hospitality extended from 'Lostone'.
6 deleted posts from Chuck
We are hoping to climb Tahurangi this time from Whakapapa. I have been to the dome shelter twice. The last time two or three years ago. Last March we climbed Tahurangi from the Turoa side. That would mean going across the glacier to get to the summit. Has anyone done it? If so how hard is it?
1 deleted post from Chuck
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by CraigNZ
On 13 March 2008
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown