SAR delayed "because they have a beacon"?!

Hi all, DISCLAIMER: I don't know the details of this incident, and if anyone should be able to supply details that explain this decision, I would be grateful. As I see it at the moment, this is NOT a rational or, for that matter, professional decision. Just found this incident report at softrock.co.nz: ---------- A tramping party of 3 male New Zealanders [...] became overdue on the 5/04/2010; APRES & Police were notified; it was decided to wait as they were well equipped and carrying an EPIRB [...] At around 1445hrs they activated their EPIRB. [...] One of the party had slipped and fallen - he received multiple fractures of the wrist, broken ribs and concussion. He was extracted to Greymouth Hospital [...] ---------- What the hell?! If I set an "overdue date and time" with friends and they report me or my group missing when I don't contact them back by then, I want SAR to begin then and there, and not play russian roulette with our lives and wait! Waiting in that scenario plain ignores two unlikely but possible scenarios: => no one in the group is able to activate the beacon => the beacon is malfunctioning or lost Both of the above are unlikely, but they can happen. And both of the above is exactly the reason why I set a date and time with a friend to report back from the trip - to cover exactly these two potential problems! So if anyone decides NOT to start SAR activities "because they have a beacon", despite friends clearly reporting us overdue as agreed beforehand, that's incredibly reckless and a very misguided use of technology, to say the least! It's punishing someone who has actually taken all possible safety measures - thanks a lot. If that would happen to me, some people would have to face some very tough questions afterwards. Very concerned about this. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks, Matt
32 comments
31–32 of 32

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that very few people who invoke LandSAR call-outs (not this isn't all SAR call-outs) are in tramping or hunting or other recreational clubs. To me it seems unfair to try and rally club members to donate. I'm sure some would and it might be a possible way of fundraising, but I don't know if enough would go for it. We have heaps of club members who aren't even active right now. A better solution might be to create incentives for more people to get involved in club-related tramping, and could result in either less LandSAR call-outs overall, and possibly also a larger pool of well-equipped volunteers in a position and with motivation to get involved in LandSAR. For the short term, and I don't actually think what I'm about to say is a great idea, the only thing I can think of off-hand that would catch a fairer proportion of people who actually need LandSAR would be to take it from hut tickets. Not that a lot of people who get themselves into trouble necessarily buy tickets anyway. It's also worth keeping in mind that in some centres, back-country call-outs make a small proportion of LandSAR's work. I think many call-outs for the Wellington group, for instance, involve looking around back-hills of suburban areas for people who are a bit mentally out of it one way or another and have wandered from home, or for suspected suicide victims. You could just-about argue that some of the government's funding for these areas should be pushed more towards LandSAR.
1 deleted post from tory burch flats sale
31–32 of 32

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Mariku
On 15 December 2010
Replies 31
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown