BALDY TO JUMBO - POLED? OTHERWISE WELL-MARKED??

I'm planning to climb Baldy this week and go around to Jumbo Hut via McGregor and Angle Knob. Can anyone tell me whether the route across the tops from Baldy to Angle Knob is poled, coned, or otherwise easy to follow if the weather closes in? Thanks David
Hi mate, I did this about 6 years ago, and from memory hasnt got much poles, typical Tararuas tops travel. Up to the pinnacles is pretty straight forward, pinnacles are bit of a scramble if your confident with heights youll be fine. The track is overgrown up to Baldy...as long as you keep going up ay! It gets a bit tricky between McGregor and Jumbo in cloud, we took a wrong turn at Angle Knob (didnt help my mate dropped my compass..)and spent a night in the bush somewhere near the airplane wreck! Finally realised our mistake when the cloud lifted in the morning. So take care at Angle Knob is the moral of the story.. let us know how your trip goes. cheers dylan ps - let me know if you find a compass up there...
Hi Dylan Thanks very much for that. Exactly what I needed to know. I've delayed my visit to Baldy for a week or two due to the 1080 drop (always take my dog with me). I'll certainly let you know how it goes and will keep an eye out for the compass. Cheers David
It's been a few years since I was up there but we did get lost comming back from Mcgregor Biv to Jumbo in rain, wind and fog. We passed the skeletal remains of a deer and suddenly realised that we had not seen that on the way there. Sure enough, retracing our steps we found that we were on our way down a side spur. Pays to have good navigational skills as I don't recall any markers.
Where are you madpom im interested in this as well I plan a northern crossing in Jan and if all goes well will come down over the pinnacles and mcgregor its been more than afew years since i was up here and would be interested in recent reviews.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by davidm
On 8 November 2010
Replies 4
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown