Kaweka`s

1–10 of 23

Hey all I was wondering if anyone has done the loop from Makahu saddle hut - Dominie hut - Back ridge hut - Ballard Hut - Middle hill hut - Kaweka flats biv then back to the carpark? I am looking at doing this probably during summer and I was wondering if anyone had a time estimate for this trip, I`ll have about 4-5 days so would try to do this within this time frame. Cheers Jono
Here's most of it http://tramper.co.nz/?5478 just need to allow some extra time down and back to back ridge hut quite steep in there.
I think you will have a great time doing that trip in 4-5 days. We did a trip from Makahu Saddle - Mangatanoika Springs - Tira Lodge - Makahu Saddle in a 3 day weekend once without much trouble.
A friend and I are going in to stay at Middle Hill hut on Monday night, then up to the tops and down to Te Puia Lodge on Tues. Is that going to be a very long day? My friend is fit but I don't think she'll appreciate a walk in the dark!
If you are going over Whetu via camp ridge then via makino to Tepuhia lodge it wouldnt be as long as your Kaweka challenge though more interesting country in some respects. your friend may think its a long day however.
Hey Jono, awsome idea and I think your time estimation is about right. Good luck and go hard.
Kawekas, best tramping in the North Island and you have chosen some of the best. Depending on your fitness, in your time frame it easily do able. I have never done your exact loop but been over all of it many times. For what its worth this is what my diary tells me. Makahu to Dominie 2hrs, Dominie to Back Ridge about the same, only the last little bit is steep, we torched in on one occasion so not too bad . Back ridge to Ballard is 4hrs with the long descent from the range to the hut a bit disheartening. Lovely spot! Ballard to Middle Hill is a mornings walk and if you wanted a longer day you could walk back to Makahu in the afternoon. We did this from Ballard to avoid strong winds on the tops. Kaweka flats is not much more than an hour from Makahu Saddle, I have jogged it in 30min. So easily doable in 3 but take 4 if you have the time.
Cool thanks for the help guys, once I know the certain dates for it I will put them up to see if anyone else is keen to come along, all are welcome and good luck fruitbat I hope the weather plays nice for you
Heya does anyone know how long it would take to walk from Middle hill hut to Makino hut?
4 hours tops
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Jono51
On 14 September 2010
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown