What do you eat out of?

1–10 of 20

A plate? A bowl? Both? I'm looking at getting something dedicated for tramping to stay in the pack but can't decide. I have seen those triangular things but I don't like the cup and I already have one as well as KFS. I like the fact it has a lid though. I think if I found a wide bowl with a lid I'd be happy...
When tramping solo I eat straight out of the billy using a long handled spoon. Otherwise if tramping with other people I use the plastic bowl from an Ernest Adams steamed pudding. The bowl does double duty as a cup as well.
I found a collapable bowl in Payless Plastics a while ago. It collapses flat for sliding down the edge of the pack and for spreading by bread on, then it pops out into a bowl for eating my cornflakes out of in the morning. But like nzbazza I often eat out of the billy. It saves on washing up too.
Generally very basic on food (as has been ridiculed here before) - but even I find having a plate as well as the billy extends the range of what you can cook. Something to put the main meal on whilst the sauce cooks, etc. Otherwise you're basically limited to eating 'slop': everything mixed together! So minimum cutlery for me is: plate, billy, mug, teaspoon. And my skinning knife: a hint of possum in every meal.
I have a Snow Peak 3 piece titanium cook set that weighs nothing (ridicule is not just reserved for food) that works great for two people. A folding titanium spork that wieghs even less than the plastic variety and doubles as a screw driver and a very sharp folding knife (not titanium but capable of minor surgery). A plastic mug that i store my headlamp in while walking its a combination that serves me well.
I would normally eat straight from the pot or pan, unless im with others, then I usually have a very small pan with me that doubles as a plate. I like to try and keep things simple when it comes to cooking in the hills.
OK so minimalism seems to be popular. I'm generally sharing so won't be eating out of the pot, also keen to avoid that metal scraping upon metal sound. I saw some plastic plates in the new Bivouac store in Tower Junction (CHCH) and one of them was flat with upturned edges (good for liquidy stuff) but its $15. The matching bowl is about $10. I could search for a cheaper alternative but am wary of plastics that aren't meant for repeated use. I might search Payless Plastics...
Back in the 1970s in the club that I was in, the utensil that you ate and drunk out of it was a bit of a sign of individuallity. I remember that having a dog's bowl was quite popular and one guy went as far as having a child's potty which he ate his dinner out of each night.
I rarely leave for the hills without my 87 piece gourmet dining suite. Fortunately it's not so cumbersome for the sizeable servant entourage, and they often have space to fit a small camping umbrella, or even a tarpaulin, alongside their waiting attire.
Orikaso collapsable gear is great and weighs almost nothing.
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Syncop8r
On 14 September 2010
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown