Injured dog: Carry out or leave him?

God forbid this ever happening but if you took a dog on an two night three day tramping trip and you were say mid way through your second day and your dog got injured and was unable to walk what would you do? Attempt to carry him out, tie him up next to a water source and shelter and walk out for help, leave him loose and hope you can find him again when you get help or leave him for dead? Iv never had to deal with this kind of situation but if it ever happened to me I know that the logical choice would be to leave him and walk out for help and hope I could find him again but that would break my heart leaving him on his own. Has anyone been in this situation before?
34 comments
31–34 of 34

Agree with Geeves. Another thing to consider is that Govt departments are so conscious of their public image these days, that a decision to refuse a rescue to save a dog (while it may be against policy, guidelines etc) could create a PR nightmare for them being portrayed as "meanies" in the public eye by a media always keen to print frenzied & polarising stories
> The distress beacon system and SAR generally in NZ exists to save human life. While we accept that many who are in the outdoors and marine environment love their pets, the national SAR exists for humans. It also does not include property such as vessels. That's an interesting response from the RCCNZ - especially the comment specifically excluding property. It's getting academic but the General Licence which makes it legal to activate a 406MHz PLB specifically states it's allowed "for obtaining assistance where the safety of life or property is threatened". https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2005-go3930 It might be a questionable thing to do, and I'm sure you could expect plenty of out-of-context media bashing. But even if you ignore that a dog's life is also "life", you could also point out that if a dog's considered your property then maybe that also makes it at least within regulations to activate the PLB. There are a few other things to consider with a PLB, too. For example, what happens if you get something unexpected like a LandSAR team instead of a helicopter? Also none of this guarantees a rescue crew will help your dog when they actually show up. Just because the licence for triggering a PLB allows it for property doesn't mean the responding agency has to have a policy of assisting with the saving of property.
I see Cosmo the police dog was carted on the Westpac rescue helicopter after being stabbed in the neck. Yes I understand how police dogs are viewed whilst in the line of duty. But he is still a dog.
True. To be honest I doubt that after the sar has responded and found it was a dog rather than human they are not going to do what they can for the situation. If its a helicopter then it can fly back empty or with the dog. It still has to fly back. I would imagine though that it would be made very clear to media that the fact it had happened was not to become common knowledge and a big donation to the xmas fund wouldnt go amiss
31–34 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by fdi4r978fg
On 9 May 2018
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown