water proof over trousers

1–10 of 15

Can anyone recommend a brand? I am looking for hard wearing, suitable for pulling on over boots and gaiters.
There will be lots to choose from, but here's something to get you started. I've had some Earth Sea Sky ones for a few years, which I like a lot. http://www.earthseasky.co.nz/products/waterproof/gelanotsventx.html -- I *think* the ones I have on that page are the Extreme Overtrou. In late 2006 I picked them up for $200 reduced from about $300, which was pricey but it's definitely one of my luckier purchases. They zip up and down the entire length, so you should never need to remove boots or gaiters. I've found the velcro along the zips awkward at times as it can make it tricky to get the zips open and shut with numb or gloved fingers, but generally they're pretty good. I usually only pull them out when it's windy or in snow, but I also wear them around town in rainy weather. There's good follow-up service from Earth Sea Sky, too. My gaiter cut a hole through one of the legs once (not characteristic of their durability), and for 18 months I patched it with some electrical tape, but once I finally took them into Bivouac, the ESS people in Christchurch were happy to take them back and patch it up with proper seam sealing for about $20.
My Kathmandu ones I bought 3 years ago are still going great, and they've pushed through all kinds of scrub and slid down rocks. Walked into the local store yesterday looking at daypacks and was horrified to see the over trousers at about $500. Pretty sure I didnt pay that when I got mine! As with anything Kathmandu, dont buy it until they have their seasonal sales (and be a summit club member).
+1 for Earth Sea Sky, I have been unable to do much tramping but have been wearing and abusing them at work and they are strong. Think mine are made from entrant fabric. They do not seem to have my model on their website anymore.
Many thanks for the advice, good to have a couple of brands on the shopping list.
I bought a pair of Moa brand overtrous from a warehouse factory in Ferrymead, Christchurch. Sure, they're not absolutly waterproof but good enough for someone like me who wears longjohns in colder weather. They got a bit worn, so started to leak a bit more and I replaced them with another pair from the Moa people. This time I bought the xtra large sizing even though I am a small/medium woman. The very wide leg means I can pull them on and off no problem with the not full length zip. The large size is no issue at all and they have a drawstring waist and are long in the leg. If they get in the way length-wise, I just roll up the waist one turn. When I'm climbing up the hill there is no catching at the knees unlike many pairs of overtrous. The Earth, Sea, Sky brand are excellent. I've got Goretex overtrousers for climbing and have only worn them once which was on my climbing expedition in Mongolia 6 years ago.
I like my Outdoor Reasearch trou. Full length zippers & velcro mean you can dress/undress stripper-style, without removing boots. Articulated knee design for ease of movement. Great evening attire if you want something to lockout the sandflies !.
ditto on outdoor research from bivouac. they aloso have good ones form the north face... depend on your budget and what you're doing, ie, material thickness and type of membrane.
I agree that Outdoor Research (OR) are quite good. Not too heavy, because you just want to stop the wind. Two zips on each side that run from both the top and bottom, meaning when old Huey brings his evil down upon you, you can slip these on without taking off the boots! (very important) Also, they haven't torn in the leatherwood yet (fingers crossed).
Hello Kokako. I carry Techniflex leggings for tops trips though I only wear them in extreme conditions. i.e. They are more a safety precaution than a regulalarly worn item. They fit on over my boots & are comfortable to wear though get too hot in benign conditions. They have survived a few excursions through frozen untracked scrub without ripping. These days they cost $124.00 though I picked them up for less than that. My biggest ever disappointment with outdoor clothing was Gore Tex leggings which were next to useless once dirty & sweaty. I'm sure they sucked the moisture in rather expelling it!
1–10 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Kokako
On 22 August 2010
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown