The campfire

551–575 of 1,476

The latest Wildeness Magazine, November 2015, has a decent article by Matthew Pike on the new direction of the MSC and its quest for relevance to justify its government funding. Most of it seems to ...
1 2 3 4
Ah okay. One thing about land exchanges (and disposals) of Stewardship Land is that there has to be an official declaration notice in the Gazette, which is the periodic government newsletter that nobody reads. It's ...
1 2 3
could be interesting, avalanche risk on the routeburn is at "considerable"
Sister in Ashburton has only had to mow her lawn 3 times this year due to its dryness. When I was down there in August it was still burnt dry brown I think in some areas ...
Episode 1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs
What difference would it have made? The very last sentence says the money went into the governments consolidated fund. If it was $1500 of $15million, none of it would have gone back to DOC.
@Ian_H Funny, that's my go to brand as well - though I don't seem to eat it for quite as many meals as you do!
1 2
What a great read. Thanks Wayne. As an aside, here is an article on the frozen girl mentioned in the article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/15-years-later-toddler-who-survived-freezing-leads-normal-teenage-life-1.838801
yeah but in izogi's scenario he thinks PLB's should be rented out to people hiring kayaks, assuming in an emergency they have their hands free and can remember how to open up the plb assuming ...
4 5 6 7 8
govt deptment forecasts, less said the better...
1 2 3 4
The Chinn girls are pretty keen. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them beats the Braun-Elwart record of being the youngest person to climb Mt Cook.
1200+ trekking companies in Nepal, they'll try anything to attract business....
1 2 3 4
A slit open long orange MSC pack liner might be the go as a removable mat. An old one perhaps...?
1 2
Love reading these stories. Thanks for the share.
Just finished reading the Survived! book. Some interesting experiences though I wouldn't say it provides any ground breaking relvalations on survival.
1 2 3 4 5
The way I read your links, they were tramping for mild conditions & weren't prepared, or expecting, to be caught in blizzard. Spent too long on one journey leg & taking a wrong turn, they ...
http://www.backpacker.com/skills/cooking/the-wrong-way-top-52-hiker-mistakes/2/
@geeves Interesting you should mention Elder Biv. (Or at least the old dog box that was about 200m down off the ridgeline.) December 30 1991 I was doing a Renata to Holdsworth trip on my own (plus ...
2 3 4 5 6
""Over the past 50 years farmer Dave Withers has taken part in hundreds of search and rescue missions in the Urewera National Park. There were no radios in the early days and it would often ...
It's up to each journo what they do with feedback. I guess just because you don't get a response it doesn't mean it hasn't been seen or taken on board. You do have to be a ...
1 2 3 4
Surprisingly happy. After hating both 7 and 8 and clinging to XP until now ... In response to some of the comments above: - Automatic updates can be turned off on a per-network basis. Settings, Networks, ...
1 2 3
Bwa-ha-ha ! Sounds like the old 'throw away the bird & eat the rock' joke.
I believe manukau is the city with the highest BMI in the world. I worked in the main hospital in south Auckland and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were true... didn't see many ...
There was an interview on the radio with Pom businesses over their experience of the EU's move to collect GST/VAT on everything. Similar approach to that described above: retailer has to collect the GST for ...
LINZ hi-res air-photos now on routeguides.co.nz: If like me you find the hi-res air photos on WAMS really useful, but find the WAMS website frustratingly slow to load and use, then this is good news. The ...
551–575 of 1,476

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,476
Posts 20,718
Top contributors
Permanent link