Places to stay
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 12.
The hut was built as a memorial to Fenella Druce who was one of 4 people killed when the Three Johns Hut in Mt. Cook National Park was blown off its site. Gas stove, indoor water, cooking gea...
Tent Camp Hut, Cobb Valley
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 3.
This is the last remaining Forest Service deer culling camp, the meat safe still hangs in a nearby tree. There is an actual tent at the rear with two other layers of canvas over it, which also cove...
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 4.
No longer maintained but still in good condition. Water from river. Four bunks with mattresses. Floor slopes due to rotting piles.
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.