Boots?

Boot choosing time again! Im stumped and being cautious as Ive had a bad run from boots over the last few years. The biggest problem is the soles coming away from the uppers probably due to being wet so often. I actually can't spend more than $250 this time round and just want a leather, minimal lined, sturdy boot that won't peel apart in an unreasonable timeframe. Is this asking too much? Ive been looking at many safety shop boots that have non metallic toes as well as Grisport, Evolve, etc and have looked at as many reviews as possible. As discussed at length previously on this forum , the market is bias to waterproof linings which are just a pain to dry. Short of buying rubber boots any ideas please? Thank you.
24 comments
11–20 of 24

@nzbazza Interesting boot. I like the look of them and would definitely give them a go. However I just wish this fetish for 'breathable liners' in boots (where they serve no useful purpose whatsoever) would pass into history. "Finally the inside of the Victor is then lined with a Hydrafuse™ waterproof and breathable membrane to keep your feet dry from wet grass, snow, and river water on the outside, as well as sweat on the inside."
thanks nzbazza. Those lastrite boots would be the go. Pity they don't distribute them to shops so they can be tried on first. There is another very similar, good tramping/walking boot made by Propet I saw in a local cobblers shop. Don't come in ½ sizes though and didn't fancy his reassurance that he could stretch one to fit me.
I think it would be better to go up a size rather than down and wear 2 pair socks
Lastrite Tramper are good. If you email Neville (owner) he can make a boot to fit your foot measurements (within reason). Just make sure you get your measurements right, I stuffed up and had to re-sell mine - ordering another pair this week. They can stretch the last out nice and wide for people who have wide feet.
Thank you all, after trying on a selection of very robust safety boots with composite not steel toes (actually didn't make them all lighter ) And comparing the comfort,fit, weight and price with some GriSport hikers, ended up choosing the Grisports. Fingers crossed they don't come apart too soon. Happy tramping!!
I looked at grisports myself a while ago. Well made but quite soft in the sole. Soft soles are great for hard surface tracks but can hurt the feet in a good old fashioned root and rock scramble although in those conditions they could off better grip. I ended up with some wide fitting Asolos which are full 3/4 season and you can barely bend the sole. Rough and soft ground they are excellent but a long well formed section and my ankles ache
I tried the Grisport a few boots back and got about 30 days hard use out of them before they completely disintegrated. Wouldn't go back there. I've currently got Lastrite Tramper as my safety boots. My only comment is that you really need to get the size right. Mine are too big. I add an extra pair of socks to keep them from sliding around but they end up really 'sloppy' when sidling. Very soft leather upper compared to the other boots I've tried and they flex / fold over and don't let me dig in with the side of the sole as I'd like on steep country. I find them heavy, cumbersome boots. Probably off topic for your inquiry - but I'm back to Asolo for tramping having tried lots of other brands: Scarpa, La Sportiva, Andrews, Grisport. They're about $340 for the Aconcagua (Granite replacement) with our work's discount - so out of your required price range. They also are no longer available in wide fit - a big issue for many kiwis, I suspect. However, they last me a year of daily hard country work/tramping use - two years if I'm doing easy stuff - which is as good as any of the more expensive brands. And they honour their guarantee when faults do occur, with no questions asked. Unlike some of their competitors.
Yes, steer clear of Gri Sport boots if you you intend doing a lot of off track walking. We have talked about boot durability on here many times before and that Gri Sport boots don't hack the tough going. Many others have experienced the same things that madpom and myself report. Check out this link from 2011 https://tramper.nz/7007 I've documented boot durability in a diary over the last ten years. Whilst Gri Sport boots are not the worst out there they are not a good value proposition if you tote up price to days worn. The worst I've had have been Wenger boots (made by the Swiss Army Knife people) They were crap boots that started falling to bits by about the 2nd or 3rd day of use! As for durable boots; the old style NZ Tramper boots and others in the range by the same manufacturer have good durability. Scarpa SL's are one of the better modern style boots for durability. (the soles of these wear out before the uppers. I'm on my 3rd pair. After around 80 days use the soles get a bit worn for serious going but the boots are still fine for easier going. I got 130 days use out of the oldest pair and the other 2 pairs are still in use) As far as cheap boots go I've been happiest with Teva's though Keen's were ok as were Hi Tecs. These boots don't last very long but if you are not paying big bucks for them you can live with that for certain types of going where higher spec boots are not necessary.
Another option is buy second hand. Its how I get my boots now. Bugger paying full price when you can get something no one needs anymore and it can still be in good condition. The only risk is proper fit of course.
And tinea
Grinning
11–20 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by brettwalk
On 13 October 2017
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown