Track suggestion winter

Hi! After many hours spent looking around the internet I still haven’t found a suitable destination, so I hope someone in here can give me some ideas on where to go tramping. So my question is: Can you recommend a tramp that meets most of the following criteria: - Can be walked in late August without alpine gear needed - Relatively accessible with public transport – in winter… - Preferred 4-5 days, (a little longer would also be possible, shorter could do as well…) - Huts along track rather than camp sites and hostels/hotels/lodges - Of course interesting surroundings – I do not have very many opportunities to go tramping in NZ so the tramp must be worth it! I have considered the Heaphy (but I just can't figure out the transport) and the Queen Charlotte (but I do not feel like staying in such fancy accommodation...). Thanks for your help! Maria
I personally find Nelson Lakes National Park to be a magical place. Various circuits from St Arnaud, with various levels of difficulty and huts on the way. You could choose one with a pass that wasn't too high and avoid the need for alpine skills, however, any experienced tramper will tell you to be prepared for extreme storm and snow conditions in the mountains at any time, so you need to be equipped accordingly and be aware of your escape routes!
Have you considered the Hollyford?
Hi! Thank you for the suggestions so far. No, I didn't know the Hollyford - I thought anything this far south would be problematic in winter... It looks interesting. I will look a bit more at this possibility. Again, thank you!
My sister did the Hollyford in Winter, it is all at low altitude so will not need alpine gear (still be prepared for wet / cold / snow wherever you go). Heaphy is also good in winter, no alpine problems and quiet huts but does take a bit of research on the transport. Also consider a loop incorporating the Abel Tasman Coast track and Abel Tasman Inland track - we did this in winter, actually because the fords to the start of the Heaphy were in flood and we couldn't get to the Heaphy track. There was snow on the Inland track but it is all below the bushline and you do not need alpine gear / skills. You can end up back where you started (Marahau) which simplifies the transport. And we had the coast track hut to ourselves - no summer crowds to contend with. You can vary the length depending how much of the two tracks you walk. Great contrast of beaches / coast and bush / beech forest. Not really alpine views but still very nice. There are also campsites on the Queen Charlotte - you don't have to stay in the fancy accommodation - though being winter perhaps you're not keen on camping? Hope you have a great trip
Hi Chris You're right on spot! I would really like to do the Heaphy, but due to the transport problem I've decided to wait until this summer, where it will be both easier and much cheaper. So this is why I'm seeking another track. Regarding Queen Charlotte - I did see the campsites, but my tent is still in Europe, so that is unfortunately not an option. What I think I'll do (not all decided yet) is exactly what you suggest - combine Abel Tasman Inland and Coast Track and circle to and from Marahau. How well marked is the Inland track? Which route did you follow, and how many days did you use? I think it might necessary for me to shorten the length due to available time, do you have any suggestions to which part of the track to miss?
We walked from Wainui bay (shuttle dropped us off at the start of the road that goes up to Pigeon Saddle) to Awapoto Hut (night 1), Moa Park Hut (night 2, but I think this hut may be removed and you could easily continue on to Castle Rock hut on the same day), Castle Rock Hut (night 3), Anchorage (night 4) then Marahau. The track is well marked and you will not have trouble following it. Around Castle Rocks Hut there are great views and a number of lookouts. Depending how far you want to walk each day, in 5 days you could do day 1 marahau to Anchorage 3.5hr day 2 Anchorage to Awaroa ?7 hours day 3 Awaroa follow the road up to Pigeon Saddle then join the Inland track to Awapoto ?5 hours day 4 Awapoto to Castle Rocks ?6 hours day 5 Castle Rocks to Marahau ?5 hours You could make it longer if you went all the way to totaranui and whariwharangi before joining the Inland Track, but that would add another night and might not fit in your schedule. I've got some photos from our trip on my website http://christinayls.webng.com under Tramps > 1999-2004 Good luck!
Yep, DoC says Moa Park Hut is now a shelter, not for accommodation. I think it had benches around the edges and no bunks.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by walker_dk
On 27 July 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown