Meal Ideas

What do you generally have to eat when you go bush? I'm just hoping to steal some ideas (not necessarily recipes like the other thread) on favourite meal ideas. I'm looking at starting tramping again after quite a break, the types of trip I'm probably going to do is a weekender, staying in a tent rather than a cabin, cooking over a single gas burner or fire. I've got a billy and small aluminium cookware. Do many of you use the dehydrated meals you can buy at tramping shops or do you build your own meals? Looking forward to your suggestions :-)
My apologies! I've just gone and looked through all of the threads and seen that this request has been posted in the past. If you've got anything to add though I'd still like to hear about it - Thanks
For weekend trips I usually take a 4 serving San Remo pasta meal. 4 servings for just me. 6 serving if there are 2 of us. I suppliment it with some chopped up salarmi or bacon. For puds I take an instant put or one of those little boil up puddings in the winter. Breakfast is Meusli (toasted is best), a piece of fruit and some bacon. Lunches I take Lees Cabin Bread and have little jars with honey, peanut butter, etc etc. One of those Tuna Pouches is good to add some taste and variety. I like Sweet Thai Chilie. I also take lots of tea and keep stove handy to brew up at any occasion. Hot sweet tea tastes much better at altitude I find. Now why is that?
I agree with pmcke that those tuna pouches are ideal. They go well with Norths Unsliced Swiss Rye bread and as additions to pasta or rice meals. To help the bread loaf hold its shape inside the pack cut two 1L plastic milk containers down the middle and join them so they overlap. As the loaf gets smaller just push the two container halves closer. Empty yellow Maggi stock containers are good for holding things such as milk powder or matches. You can buy 4-serve pouches of mashed potato and pasta which are also light and much more reasonably priced than the Backcountry meals (best of those varieties I think is Morroccan Lamb).

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by JillS
On 31 December 2007
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown