soft shell

And what about soft shell ......like "dryskin Schoeller" or Marmot dryclime......
Can't get my head around most soft shells. It seems as though you'd be too warm in such a thick layer and they're not all that rainproof. I have a thinner version which is excellent, worn next to the skin as a base layer with windstopper technology, wicks wonderfully and disperses moisture by evaporation very effectively. It's called a transition top and is made by Mountain Hardwear. I wear it about 6 months of the year. I wouldn't consider wearing it in any precipitation beyond a light spit though. It's also very light. Lydia Bradey introduced hers to me as her "magic shirt" and I was pleased to say I had the same thing.
I have had the driclime type of windshirt and they're pretty good but are much lighter than the classic softshell. Frank swears by his as keeping him so warm for their weight and has the trousers as well. I bought the Fairydown version and it had crap material in the sleeves. Frank also had the Earth, Sea, Sky version of the Marmot windshirt and although it weighs 100g more, it isn't as warm. Maybe I buy the proper Marmot windshirt this time round. I'm a member of REI so will get it through them, I think. It sounds as though you're better off spending the money on Marmot rather than a cheaper version of it.
i bought mine from Macpac for approx $100, keep keep me warm and dry in shower and quite flexiable. I'm a bit unsure on its breathability through, as i normally find myself soaked by sweat 20 min into bike ride or walk, or maybe just me sweating alot ;-S)

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Paul55
On 10 July 2010
Replies 3
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown