TRAMPING SOUTHLAND

Hi all interested parties, living down here in Southland and am looking forward to some sprind/summer tramps in my area,some thoughts were; Greenstone capels valley Hollyford valley The Dusky?! Mavora to Greenstone Valley And any other possibilities.. So if any of you folks overseas or local interested at looking at these or similar trips in the future please get in touch, age and fitness open just enthusiasm!
I would love to do the Dusky or Hollyford in Summer. I have done some tracks South but not these two. I live up North but love making trips South to tramp. Im pretty fit but haven't done any overnight tramps for a while altho starting to get back into these very soon around here. I can't do anything till late Oct on, if this fits.
I would also be keen for the Dusky. I have been thinking about doing it for a while now and had next January/February in mind, if that suits anyone. I also have been thinking about getting a group of people together to do the George Sound Track if anyone is keen, but we'd need a few so we could spread out the cost of transport.
Im very keen to do George Sound but have never been able to justify the cost. When would you br thinking of doing that, Byron? Im off to Europe next year so have enough holidays left for just 1 trip of up to 2 weeks over Christmas/New Years. So many choices but not enough time!
I was thinking about doing it in the last week of February or the first week of March. That is if I end up in Argentina over the summer. If I'm not, any time in January would work for me. How would that suit?
Im off to Italy Feb 20th. Work has given me 8 months off unpaid leave so I have to be around January/Feb to train up the person filling in for me while Im away. Best time for me would be the Christmas/New Years break when work shuts down. In January that would be from the 1st to the 9th. I cant remember how long the George Sound track is... 3 days 1 way? So 6-7 return? That would work for me but it would depend on yourself and anyone else who wanted to come. Failing that theres always the Dusky. I did it nearly 3 years ago and would love to go back. My timetable may be to early in the Summer for you though, alas.
Hi there. Unfortunately I will be working over the new year period. The earliest I could do it would be the 9th of January. Would that work for you? I was reading a blog about a guy who did it a couple of years back. After the first day you can either do two 7 hour days with a camp on Henry Pass (though by the sounds of his blog it would be pretty boggy and unpleasant campsite) or one long push up and over the other side. It sounds like the track is underwater for most of it. But I guess what do you expect for that deep in Fiordland? I was looking at the Moirs Guide, and there is an untracked route over into Caswell Sound from the George which also sounds pretty neat. There is a hut that was built in there for Wapiti hunters, towards the end of the New Zealand-American Fiordland expedition in the late 40's. It's a place I've always wanted to visit.
Nah, thats too late for me. Dont have enough leave to use up seeing as Im losing 2/3 of it to my unpaid trip. Maybe sumemr 2012 haha!

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by forest
On 3 July 2010
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown