Help with Boots, Sleeping Bags and Packs please!

Hey there, I'm looking at getting into tramping properly after enjoying a recent tramp/rogaine I went on, and would greatly appreciate it if you could answer my questions! Firstly, I'm after a good pair of boots. I've decided that lightweight boots would be best, as since I'll be new to tramping I wouldn't be going on any difficult hikes for a while and light boots will also suit orienteering/rogaines/day-trips which I'll likely do quite a bit of as well (possibly more than tramping). However, I'd like the boots to be able to hold up well for more difficult tramps in case I do end up doing them in the future (durability is a big issue since I'm a reasonably poor uni student so I'd want the boots to last me good 3-4 years ideally). I estimate that I'd use them in a tramping type situation once every month or so on average and would only do basic trips for at least the first year or so (trips lasting a few days at most). I have narrowed my choices down to either the Salomon Fastpacker 3D GTX or Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX. The style of boot seems to be the most suited for me and Salomon's last fits me well, based on a try-on of the Fastpackers (I plan on trying the Cosmics in the next few days). The Fastpackers were comfortable on, but I'm not sure about the sizes as US 9s are comfortable (though I am aware of the sides of the boot and am a bit restricted in the toebox vertically) whilst the 9.5s still feel comfortable but with more room inside the boot (I'm not aware of the sides/toebox when I have them on, which makes me wonder if they're too big). After tightening the laces for both sizes there was no little to no heel movement when I walked (only a small amount with the 9.5s) and I could fit an index finger down the back of the 9s (the boots were tried on with two pairs of socks, one merino and one medium thickness wool). While the 9s feel more comfortable, I'm wondering if I should go for the 9.5s to account for the whole feet-swelling phenomena and for if I get thicker woolen socks later on....Is there any fitting advice for such a situation? I know that I should pick the style of boot based on what fits better but my current concern is with finding what size fits best, which may be more of an issue than picking what style to buy! (If only shoes came in size 9.25...) Anyway, my main concern with the Fastpackers is that they may not hold up too well for more rigorious trips (in case I do end up going on them). For that reason I'm considering the Cosmics as they have a stiffer sole and have higher ankle support. However, they are 300g or so heavier than the Fastpackers which makes them less desirable for shorter excursions and while they've had great reviews on the internet, some people have questioned their durability which is worrying for me. Unfortunately the Quests (a more durable/heavy cousin of the Cosmic) and Wings Sky are not available where I am. I'm aware that the people who have said online that their Cosmics lasted only a few months likely used them a lot more than I plan to, but since durability is a big factor for me I thought I should ask here what the recommended boot for my situation is...Basically I would like a versitile boot that will suit short trips (orienteering, day-walks) and easy-medium difficulty tramps, and give me good value for money in terms of how long they last. At this stage it looks like I'll almost definitely get one of the Salomon pairs, which are going to be on sale a week from now, so if there are any recommendations on what would be best for my situation (assuming both types of boot fit me well) that would be great. I'm still open to suggestions for other suitable, similarly priced boots, on the off-chance they are available where I am (Christchurch). During the aforemented sale I plan on stocking up on quite a bit of tramping gear since a lot of equipment I need (packs, sleeping bag, sleeping mat) have 50-60% off. I currently have a basic synthetic sleeping bag which is a few years old, but since there's 60% off sleeping bags am considering upgrading now while they're cheap (my current one is very large when stuffed into its sack so one that can compress smaller would be much better for tramping). At the moment I'm looking at two sleeping bags; a top-of-the-line rectangular synthetic bag (with temperature ratings of -28, -10 and -3 degrees celcius) and top-of-the-line mummy style goose down bag that costs 3x the price of the synthetic one but has windproof/waterproof/durable/lightweight fabric (with temperature ratings of -30, -11 and -5 degrees celcius). I've heard that sleeping bags with down last longer and compress more than synthetic bags so would be willing to spend the extra if it's going to last me for significantly longer and be far superior in general than the synthetic bag, however the synthetic bag still has a very similar heat rating so if that's going to do the job and last a while also I'd rather get the cheaper one....If there's any recommendations that'd be excellent. Finally, I'm looking at getting a pack in this sale. The other night I bought a second hand, 6 year old (but good condition) 90 litre tramping/travel pack of a quality brand for a very good price ($96) and will pick it up soon. However, today I saw the catalog for the upcoming winter sale of the outdoors store already mentioned and saw that they have 50% off the travel/tramping packs I'd been looking at before I bought the second hand one. This meant the new packs would be $300 (from 600) and club members of the store can get an extra 15% off the total bill when $300 or over is spent (meaning the pack would effectively cost $255). The largest size of this pack is 75L, but it comes with an attached day pack which I estimate would be another 15 - 20L. Though it's not waterproof, I would assume it'd be fine for tramping, and it's attractive for its travel option too since the harness/straps can be zipped away (this is the same for the second-hand pack I bought). Once I pick up the second-hand pack, I'll try it on and see how well it fits. If it doesn't fit too well, do you think I should re-sell the second hand pack (I should be able to at least get back what I paid for it) and buy the new one for $255? Or should keep it anyway since I'm only starting out? For easy-medium difficulty tramps lasting less than a week, is 90L an excessive size for a pack? Would the new pack be a more reasonable size for such ventures? I'm also after a smaller pack for day-trips and possibly one-night trips, since they're also on sale. My options are a basic 30L for $60, a 50L hiking pack (with hydration bladder compatibility and things) for $119 or a 65L travel pack (with a 15L attachable pack) for $170. For day-trips I'm thinking the larger the pack the better (within reason) to fit bulky jackets and things if needed, but 65L is getting into quite large territory so if anyone could indicate what a suitable size for a day-pack is that'd be great. Thanks very much for reading this, any help at all would be much appreciated! Sorry for the long speel but I want to make sure I make the right purchase decisions since everything's so expensive (to me at least) and I thought I should outline my situation as clearly as possibly so you can have an idea of what angle I'm coming from.
35 comments
11–20 of 35

If I were you I would not go and kit myself out at one shop. Especially not Kathmandu when you can get better quality for the same price elsewhere. You'll get better value for your money shopping around a little. If you are not close to any of the main centres get on the web. Try to Macpac, Bivouac, Altitude, R&R Sports and IClimb.
The Montbell bags on Iclimb do have impressive warmth/weight ratio. Comparing the Macpac Express 600XL with MontBell Spiral #1 long. Macpac Weight: 1.02kg Fill weight: 640gms of 800+ loft Temp: Comfort -2ºC / Limit -8ºC / Extreme -28ºC MontBell Weight: 0.98kg Fill weight: 633gms of 800+ loft Temp: Comfort -9C / Usable -22C Would really like to know if the Montbell comfort is comparable with the Macpac comfort, or if its comparable to the Macpac Limit rating. Would love to see a EN 13537 test result for the MontBell bags. Even with all of their innovative strech technology and spiral designs I have my doubts over their -9c comfort rating.
Thanks for the further replies, I wasn't aware of sites like IClimb, Altitude and Bivouac until they were mentioned here. That Starling sleeping bag looks really good, thanks for mentioning it militaris. It has a wrap-around zip which is important and better features by the looks of it (not to mention it's cheaper)...I'll head to the Bivouac store in town in a few days time and have a look at it, at this stage it seems like a better option that the Kathmandu Pacesetter (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Sleeping_Bags_&_Bedding/Sleeping_Bags/Down/51149/Pacesetter_e-proof.html)which only has a zip down one side so could still be too warm in summer. Today I picked up the second-hand 90L pack, and it doesn't fit (the hipbelt rests above my hip) so that'll be onsold soon I think, unless I managed to get it to fit properly with some more tinkering. I'm not too upset about the mispurchase since I got it for a really good price and should be able to turn a small profit if I resell it. I went to Kathmandu today to try on some of the packs; they didn't have the Longhaul but I'd pretty much eliminated that already due to its heaviness (thanks for the advice there) but I tried on the Altai and found that the hipbelts rested above my hips on that too, so I don't think I'll be getting that one either. I did try on another, larger pack however, which fit me well. It's called the Vardo (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Packs/Hiking_Packs/40257/Vardo_Pack_v4.html), and comes in 65L, 70L and 75L variants (each variant comes with an extra attachable 5L pocket though). In the sale, it would cost $255 which is more than the others, but I reasoned that I could get that instead of the 32L + 50L packs I was planning on getting originally (I can make do with the bag I use for university for daytrips until I really need a proper daypack). The largest size (75L) fit me fine with a smaller size hipbelt so I'm thinking of going with that, since at 2.3kgs it doesn't weigh much more than the other variants (2.1kg and 2.2kg) and the extra capacity should be useful sometimes while I can compress the pack down when it's not needed. I wasn't in there long so only tried it on with it filled with plastic bags, but the next time I go I'll definitely try to fill it with the relevant gear and see how that feels. I'd be using it for overnight and multi-day trips, which it should handle fine. It has the best harness system and fabric of the bags I looked at today, so seems like a good versitile option for a first-time tramper like me (even if it's a little big for overnight trips, but I can't afford buying two separate large packs at the moment). I've looked around the other sites for other pack options, but haven't found anything of similar size for around the same price range. The Vardo seems to be a good tramping-specific pack however so at this stage it looks like I'll go with that. I know what you mean about Kathmandu's prices; it seems they make their RRPs extremely high to make their sales seem more impressive. Even so, this sale is a good opportunity for me to get the bare essentials for tramping in time for all of my university's tramping club trips next term so I'll likely get most of my gear in the sale. Of course, I plan to look around other outdoors stores first to make sure I'm not missing out on any better deals. The Kathmandu gaiters should come down to $55 from $130 in the sale so I'll get those I think, thanks for the advice!
Bivouac would have to be my favorite tramping store chain, RRsports were decent once but have now diversified into heaps of different sections at the expense of the outdoor range. Macpac stores are good but I do not shop there unless they are on sale or clearance. But that applies to most outdoor chains. Macpac does seem to be trying to innovate their product range which is a good thing imo. Iclimb has same very nice gear especially for people who want to save a few grams from their packs. Altitude has a good selection and a few unique brands (Big Agnes springs to mind) but they can be on the expensive side of the market. I use to purchase a bit from Kathmandu but now rarely shop there. I might grab small accessories or clothing and would look at their boot selection at times to see if they have anything discounted. Hopefully they have a R&D budget to design a few light weight tents or at-least throw their brand on a Chinese copy/design . IMO kathmandu throws about a extra 20-30% onto their prices so they can have a better looking sale. Their automatic 15% sumit club discount is evidence to that. Macpac is doing that the same thing with their wilderness club discount which is free to join. It was only a few years back when Mouton Noir (parent company of Macpac/fairydown) started their rtail store (Branded fairydown at that time), a sale assistant told me they have a policy of low prices all the time and would be having no sales. I liked that policy but did not think it would survive. For a while they did have low prices but their prices have seeme to creep up again and they are having regular sales. Sorry about all the rumblings about retail stores... The most important thing to consider when purchasing a pack is a good fit. If you think the Vardo meets that and your other criteria then go for it, but if you have not already done so I suggest checking out a few other pack ranges (Macpac, Osprey, Vaude, Deuter spring to mind but there are plenty of others to choice from) It does not matter if your pack is to big for a overnight trip, it just means a little more space and increase temptation to bring other unnesccary items. I know quite a few people who have tramped for years and use a single large pack for all their trips. Its only gear freaks like me who own mutiple packs.
Trust me age dosent weary them we just become old gear freaks. Outdoor shops are like hardware stores for me my wife has resigned herself to some time gear shopping when we travel o/seas. Where do you live ncog perhaps we could suggest people and places to see that are relevant to your area. Even the big shops do have the occaisional person who really does know what they are talking about.
I'm in Christchurch, and am planning on having another browse through the outdoors shops (Bivouac, Macpac, High Country, RR Sport, Kathmandu) in town tomorrow. Shoes seem to be the biggest concern for me at the moment, I'm after durability first and foremost which seems to be lacking in the Salomon Fastpacker/Cosmic. Because of this I'm seriously considering getting two pairs of shoes (for around the same price as one pair of either the Fastpackers/Cosmics), one for orienteering/light daytrips and another for overnight/multi-day tramps. Ideally I'll find a good pair for a reasonable price that can cater for everything in my search tomorrow, but failing that I might got for the Oboz Firebrand (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Oboz/38010/OBOZ_Firebrand_Men.html) which seem durable and versitile for lighter activities and possibly a Kathmandu boot for tramping...I know that the Kathmandu boots aren't the most durable but they're very affordable in the sale and I don't expect to be using them very often anyway (the lighter shoes would be used far more often) so should last a respectable amount of time with little use.
You could also call into CRT or Wrightsons and purchase a pair of farm boots. They are cheap, durable and I done quite a bit of tramping in them. Think they are priced around $150 but depends on brand/model. Can also be worthwhile to check out the clearance stores in DressSmart in Hornby.
Also when you look at sales, take into account that sale season usually comes around about every 3 months with outdoor shops. I think Kathmandu drives it with its every-third-month pattern, and everyone else follows. For Kathmandu specifically, it sometimes feels as if their stores are deserted for eight months of the year, maybe with the exception of the clearence sections (which are always present these days), and there's a reason. Bivouac's my favourite shop in Wellington, and maybe Mountain Designs (next door) is second. They both have really good staff who know a lot about what they're selling, and who I've generally found very helpful. The Macpac shop over the road doesn't seem quite so rich in that aspect, and as militaris said I think R&R has diversified itself so much that they no longer have much depth in outdoor gear. I'm tempted to suggest going for cheaper stuff, but that's just my preference because I rarely find something I really like when I buy one for the first time. It often takes two or occasionally three attempts, with the first one being the throwaway purchase that gives me a chance to discover everything I dislike and want different. My first two pairs of boots were Hitek, which I picked up at Rebel Sport during various long weekend sales that they always run, and I think it's an underrated brand. Do you have a plan for getting into tramping? Do you intend to go solo, or do you have friends or a club somewhere? If you have the opportunity, there's an awful lot to gain by going out with other people and seeing what they have, and deciding what you like and don't like by talking to them. Nearly everyone will be happy to talk about and show off what they do and don't like about their stuff.
For what it's worth my email's just told me this morning that Macpac is about to go into its "up to 50% off" winter sale as of this Wednesday. As militaris pointed out, they're now following a similar retail pattern to Kathmandu, so there's little point buying Macpac stuff until they're having a big sale.
One other option, try Trademe. I see there is a Starling listed.
11–20 of 35

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by ncog.
On 10 June 2010
Replies 34
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown