Help with Boots, Sleeping Bags and Packs please!

1–10 of 35

Hey there, I'm looking at getting into tramping properly after enjoying a recent tramp/rogaine I went on, and would greatly appreciate it if you could answer my questions! Firstly, I'm after a good pair of boots. I've decided that lightweight boots would be best, as since I'll be new to tramping I wouldn't be going on any difficult hikes for a while and light boots will also suit orienteering/rogaines/day-trips which I'll likely do quite a bit of as well (possibly more than tramping). However, I'd like the boots to be able to hold up well for more difficult tramps in case I do end up doing them in the future (durability is a big issue since I'm a reasonably poor uni student so I'd want the boots to last me good 3-4 years ideally). I estimate that I'd use them in a tramping type situation once every month or so on average and would only do basic trips for at least the first year or so (trips lasting a few days at most). I have narrowed my choices down to either the Salomon Fastpacker 3D GTX or Salomon Cosmic 4D GTX. The style of boot seems to be the most suited for me and Salomon's last fits me well, based on a try-on of the Fastpackers (I plan on trying the Cosmics in the next few days). The Fastpackers were comfortable on, but I'm not sure about the sizes as US 9s are comfortable (though I am aware of the sides of the boot and am a bit restricted in the toebox vertically) whilst the 9.5s still feel comfortable but with more room inside the boot (I'm not aware of the sides/toebox when I have them on, which makes me wonder if they're too big). After tightening the laces for both sizes there was no little to no heel movement when I walked (only a small amount with the 9.5s) and I could fit an index finger down the back of the 9s (the boots were tried on with two pairs of socks, one merino and one medium thickness wool). While the 9s feel more comfortable, I'm wondering if I should go for the 9.5s to account for the whole feet-swelling phenomena and for if I get thicker woolen socks later on....Is there any fitting advice for such a situation? I know that I should pick the style of boot based on what fits better but my current concern is with finding what size fits best, which may be more of an issue than picking what style to buy! (If only shoes came in size 9.25...) Anyway, my main concern with the Fastpackers is that they may not hold up too well for more rigorious trips (in case I do end up going on them). For that reason I'm considering the Cosmics as they have a stiffer sole and have higher ankle support. However, they are 300g or so heavier than the Fastpackers which makes them less desirable for shorter excursions and while they've had great reviews on the internet, some people have questioned their durability which is worrying for me. Unfortunately the Quests (a more durable/heavy cousin of the Cosmic) and Wings Sky are not available where I am. I'm aware that the people who have said online that their Cosmics lasted only a few months likely used them a lot more than I plan to, but since durability is a big factor for me I thought I should ask here what the recommended boot for my situation is...Basically I would like a versitile boot that will suit short trips (orienteering, day-walks) and easy-medium difficulty tramps, and give me good value for money in terms of how long they last. At this stage it looks like I'll almost definitely get one of the Salomon pairs, which are going to be on sale a week from now, so if there are any recommendations on what would be best for my situation (assuming both types of boot fit me well) that would be great. I'm still open to suggestions for other suitable, similarly priced boots, on the off-chance they are available where I am (Christchurch). During the aforemented sale I plan on stocking up on quite a bit of tramping gear since a lot of equipment I need (packs, sleeping bag, sleeping mat) have 50-60% off. I currently have a basic synthetic sleeping bag which is a few years old, but since there's 60% off sleeping bags am considering upgrading now while they're cheap (my current one is very large when stuffed into its sack so one that can compress smaller would be much better for tramping). At the moment I'm looking at two sleeping bags; a top-of-the-line rectangular synthetic bag (with temperature ratings of -28, -10 and -3 degrees celcius) and top-of-the-line mummy style goose down bag that costs 3x the price of the synthetic one but has windproof/waterproof/durable/lightweight fabric (with temperature ratings of -30, -11 and -5 degrees celcius). I've heard that sleeping bags with down last longer and compress more than synthetic bags so would be willing to spend the extra if it's going to last me for significantly longer and be far superior in general than the synthetic bag, however the synthetic bag still has a very similar heat rating so if that's going to do the job and last a while also I'd rather get the cheaper one....If there's any recommendations that'd be excellent. Finally, I'm looking at getting a pack in this sale. The other night I bought a second hand, 6 year old (but good condition) 90 litre tramping/travel pack of a quality brand for a very good price ($96) and will pick it up soon. However, today I saw the catalog for the upcoming winter sale of the outdoors store already mentioned and saw that they have 50% off the travel/tramping packs I'd been looking at before I bought the second hand one. This meant the new packs would be $300 (from 600) and club members of the store can get an extra 15% off the total bill when $300 or over is spent (meaning the pack would effectively cost $255). The largest size of this pack is 75L, but it comes with an attached day pack which I estimate would be another 15 - 20L. Though it's not waterproof, I would assume it'd be fine for tramping, and it's attractive for its travel option too since the harness/straps can be zipped away (this is the same for the second-hand pack I bought). Once I pick up the second-hand pack, I'll try it on and see how well it fits. If it doesn't fit too well, do you think I should re-sell the second hand pack (I should be able to at least get back what I paid for it) and buy the new one for $255? Or should keep it anyway since I'm only starting out? For easy-medium difficulty tramps lasting less than a week, is 90L an excessive size for a pack? Would the new pack be a more reasonable size for such ventures? I'm also after a smaller pack for day-trips and possibly one-night trips, since they're also on sale. My options are a basic 30L for $60, a 50L hiking pack (with hydration bladder compatibility and things) for $119 or a 65L travel pack (with a 15L attachable pack) for $170. For day-trips I'm thinking the larger the pack the better (within reason) to fit bulky jackets and things if needed, but 65L is getting into quite large territory so if anyone could indicate what a suitable size for a day-pack is that'd be great. Thanks very much for reading this, any help at all would be much appreciated! Sorry for the long speel but I want to make sure I make the right purchase decisions since everything's so expensive (to me at least) and I thought I should outline my situation as clearly as possibly so you can have an idea of what angle I'm coming from.
Boots For a lightweight boot I would recommend Merrells. They make full boots, half boots, and leather shoes. Unless you have weak ankles boots aren't a neccessity. Sturdy leather shoes do just as well and are a lot lighter - perfect for rogaining and normal tramping. My Dad's Merrell shoes last him for around 4 years even with extremely hard use. Daypacks 65L is way too much for a day pack! I use a 45L pack for multiple day trips including tent, thermarest, etc. Personally I use a daypack which I think is around 20L, but the 50L sounds like a good choice if you have lots of bulky gear. Go for the smallest pack that will fit the equipment that you expect to take.
Yep, agree with Briar's comments re boots vs shoes. I'm a sandal wearer for most of my tramping but have bought a very lightweight pair of boots for when I do trips that involve a bit of non-technical snow where I don't want to be taking my plastic mountaineering boots. These HiTec Ionmask boots are lighter than some brands of sandals e.g. Chacos (450g each). They have some technology that keeps the water out so they don't absorb water and they don't need waterproofing however I notice they don't let the water out either after crossing deep rivers! Very comfortable. I don't know how they stack up for longevity but they were recommended to me by Aarn Tate of Aarn Pack's fame. I would get the down bag for the above reasons you mention and it is much lighter and less bulky. If you buy lighter gear, you'll be able to buy a lighter smaller pack and you will need to carry less food and initiate a virtuous circle. Impressed with Briar being able to stash multiday trip gear into a 45L pack. I have a 600g, 60L GoLite Pinnacle and can do up to 5 day long tramps with it by having added front pockets to the shoulder straps. My partner Frank says he can do up to 4 days with his 40L pack. If you use smaller packs, it induces you to avoid taking too much gear. Here's a thread on lightening your pack: http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=topic&id=31 but bear in mind these are experienced people who know when they can get away with skimping e.g. cooking gear but not necessarily clothing and shelter! Also here is a thread on packs, including pack size. http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=topic&id=858 You'll find more threads in the gear section on the forums that might be relevant or helpful.
Thanks for your replies! I was basing my limited knowledge of pack sizes on a friend, who recommended I got at least an 80L pack. After doing more research I've found that's way too much for what I plan to do, and will likely on-sell the 90L pack I bought. At the moment I'm thinking of getting the Nowaki 32L pack (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Packs/Outdoor_Day_Packs/40350/Nowaki_XT_Pack.html)as an all-purpose daypack ($76 down from $180 NZD in the Kathmandu Summit Club Members sale this coming Wednesday). For overnight/multi-day trips I'm trying to pick between these two packs: Kathmandu Altai 50L pack -$119 down from $280 (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Packs/Hiking_Packs/40316/Altai_Pack.html) + tramping-specific features (top-loading, internal hydration pocket) + - cheaper than other option (but less value for money) + - lighter (but smaller so possibly not big enough for some multi-day trips) - no separate sleeping bag compartment Kathmandu Longhaul 65L + 15L pack - $169 down from $500 (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Packs_&_Luggage/Travel/Packs_&_Luggage/40359/Longhaul_Pack_v5.html) + comes with 15L pack which would be useful for cycling trips + separate sleeping bag compartment + - travel option (but less suited for tramping because of this) + - larger (but heavier) + - better value for money (but more expensive than Altai) - has two zip compartments rather than top loader Since there's only $50 between them I'm inclined to go for the Longhaul since it's better value for money and is larger, but if it's going to be significantly worse for tramping (which would be its primary use) the Altai may be better. What do you guys think? Are the two zip compartments a big enough disadvantage to get the Altai? Would 50L be enough to fit equipment for a 3-4 day tramp (including a tent if needed)? I'm going to hopefully try on both packs for comfort tomorrow so I'll likely decide based on what is more comfortable, but if anyone has any recomendations on what would be the better choice that'd be excellent! I'm going to be buying exclusively from Kathmandu due to the sale I think, so if anyone has any experience with any of these packs (or other Kathmandu packs of similar sizes) any other recommendations would be awesome. The Hi-Tec Ion Mask boots were actually among the first pair that I looked at, and I was considering getting them until I read online that the V-Lite Ultra pair that I'd been looking at had a poor design for the tongue which let water in. I think the next model (the Luxe) may have addressed this issue but I'd only seen the Ultras so decided against them. From what I've heard the Ion Mask waterproofing system works really well, it's just that on the Ultras the tongue lets the boots down. Regarding boots, I've had another idea; I could get a pair of leather Kathmandu Barigan boots (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Kathmandu/30339/Barigan_Boot.html)at $149 for tramping and also a pair of Salomon Exit GTX trail running shoes (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Salomon/30348/Salomon_Exit_GTX_Men.html) at $229 for orienteering and day-trips...Together they would cost $378, only $4 more than the sale price of the Cosmics (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Salomon/30374/Salomon_Cosmic_4D_GTX.html). Alternatively I could spend another $68 and get the Kathmandu boots with the Fastpackers (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Salomon/30344/Salomon_3D_Fastpacker_GTX_Men.html). This would mean I'd have two pairs for around the same price as a single pair of Cosmics, and I assume two pairs used for different activities would last longer than a single pair of boots used for everything. Durability is important for me so buying two pairs of slightly cheaper shoes means they'd hopefully last longer overall and be more suited for the activities I want to use them for. I'm going to go tomorrow to try on these shoes so it will depend on whether they fit me well, but in general would this be a good plan? Has anyone had any experience with the Salomon Exit GTX trail runners or Kathmandu Barigan boots? Would the Fastpackers be worth spending a bit more on to get a better boot for orienteering/rogaining/day-trips? I'll definitely get a self-inflating mat, and am still trying to decide on what sleeping bag to get. For sleeping bags, I'm leaning towards the Moonraker e-proof goose down sleeping bag (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Sleeping_Bags_&_Bedding/Sleeping_Bags/Down/51148/Moonraker_e-proof.html) at $316 since it's suitable in all conditions and its impressive EN ratings (-30, -11, -5 degrees celcius) mean it will keep me warm for winter tramps. It's also got a DWR finish to repel water and is a mummy-shape for maximum insulation and compactability...This seems like the best choice at the moment, my concern would be whether it would be too hot in the warmer seasons though. Of course I could unzip the thing which should be okay, but as far as I know mummy bags don't have feet zips which may be problematic. Another option is a Navigator duck down sleeping bag (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Sleeping_Bags_&_Bedding/Sleeping_Bags/Down/51152/Navigator_v5.html) at $218 which is rectangular so more suitable for summer, but still with acceptable EN ratings for winter (-23, -6, 0). What's superior out of goose down and duck down, and is there a significant difference in their performance? Would the Moonraker be unbearably warm in summer or will unzipping it and wearing less layers work fine? I've never slept in a down bag before, so if anyone could comment on how the perform in warmer weather (i.e. whether they are too insulating or can be effectively optimised according to the temperature) that would be great!
Sorry for the double post but I can't find an edit option; I'm also after a good pair of waterproof gaiters and am currently thinking of getting these Kathmandu ones for $100 down from 130 (http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/Footwear/Accessories/30143/NGX_Gaiter_Tramp.html). I'd be getting them mainly to reduce the amount of water getting into my boots during river/stream crossings, and was wondering if they'd be a good choice, in comparison to the cheaper Macpac gaiters (http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/footwear/gaiters/cascade-gaitors.html)? Hopefully someone has used either of those and can comment on how effective they are!
I have a moonraker down sleeping bag and i have found it to be excellent.I have slept out on hut verandas [mainly because of my snoring]when it has been snowing and have been really toasty.Buy a liner as well,it helps keep your bag clean.As for the Kathmandu gaiters i like them too,the ones with the wire understrap are good.Hope this is of some help.
Tramping equipment is about Accumulation trial and error. My advice would be to not race out and purchase every thing you think you might need and just purchase the things you absolutely need. you can bet most of what you pick up early on will be discarded as you get more experience. Remember like any good pair of shoes cheap does not always equate to comfort and durability. Resist the urge to buy name brands often after experimenting you can find the same thing non branded for a quarter of the price without loosing quality. Having said that anything by Earth Sea Sky is hard to beat and about as expensive as it gets. You can tell already from my comments that you have wandered into a mine field. Go back to the earlier comment buy only what you absolutely need to survive now not every thing you think you may want. If you want your knees to be in any shape at all in your dotage buy the smallest pack you can not he biggest. And before you start pmcke you are a masochist:).
I have a katmandu vanguard x pac witch i have used on a 9 day tramp carring food tent and all other gear needed for tops travel.I also have a katmandu ciseroine sleeping bag witch i am yet to zip upboth these items can be bought fairly cheeply at their sales .as for boots i have had apair of katmandus and hi tecs both i wore out within a year .so buy the the best boots you can afoward. i now where lowas and they have not let me down.
I would be wary of zips on tramping packs. They are just one more liability on your pack. How would you close your pack securely if one broke? Seperate sleeping bag compartments are not necessary and can make it hard to efficiently distribute the load in your pack. I would advise going for the Altai over the Longhaul. Your choice of daypack seems reasonable. Just be sure to try it on to make sure the harness is comfortable. If possible add some weight and bulk in the pack to see how it will feel when tramping.
I really do not like the look of Kathmandu packs. They discount them by 60% for a reason, although they probably meet most buyers expectations when purchased on special. I really like Osprey and Vaude pack range, They have a good compromise between weight, features and price. I also like the look of the Deuter packs but never owned ones. For durable (heavy) packs then Macpac are worth considering. When on special the better quality one can be gotten for only a little more then the Kathmandu ones. I own a Kathmandu Moonraker sleeping bag and I have never been cold in it, most nights I overheat even with it unzipped. Its really a winter sleeping bag so not ideal for the rest of the year. There is not much difference between Duck and goose down, technically there is one but not worth considering. Last time I checked a discounted Exped Sleeping bag was cheaper then a discounted Kathmandu and the former is the better bag. I consider a bag like the Exped Starling would be a better buy. Its about $80 cheaper then the Moonracker, 250g lighter with a comparable warmth rating. Its probably also better quality. You do lose the waterproof outer but are you planning to sleep in snow caves? http://www.bivouac.co.nz/exped-starling.html I rarely use the gaiters I own (think they are a older version of the ones you are looking at and they are fine). They are good for keeping seeds out of socks and add a bit of warmth in the snow. I would not prioritize purchasing a pair. In saying that, Huntech gaiters (rrp $110) are very popular among the posters on the FishnHunt forums. You have to remember that gaiters are just thick material wrapped around your lower legs, they nothing technical... I would probably go for the $50 Macpac ones and spend the savings on more important gear. With regards to Self Inflating Mats. Exped Down Mat, nothing else is close. The Thermarest Prolites are popular (I never use mine). The Theramest Neoair is expensive but does offer a good warmth/weight and comfort ratio. If I had endless money I would probably use a exped down mat for winter and a Neoair for Summer.
1–10 of 35

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by ncog.
On 10 June 2010
Replies 34
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown