We are not visitors

The latest FMC newsletter contains the following paragraph which resonates with me, and I suspect with many of us. It is a fundamental question, but so relevant when thinking about questions of management, access, and paternalistic attitudes toward managing public behaviour. We are connected to the land. Here it is: FMC is strongly supportive of a community collaboration approach to conservation in New Zealand, preserving our natural taonga is all of our responsibility. The quid pro quo of that though is that we are not visitors. We are asking DOC to recognise, "that while DOC has expertise, and responsibilities under the Conservation Act 1987, the underlying relationship between DOC and the public in regards to public conservation land is one of “equals”. This requires DOC ceasing generic use of the noun “Visitors” and instead uses the nouns “public”, “private”, “tourist”, “people” or “human”.
25 comments
11–20 of 25

Well done FMC for being so bloody awesome! I will say "hike" if I'm going for a walk on tracks close-to but away from urban areas (for example, the Port Hills next to Christchurch near my house) and tramping if it's back country.
They are ALL "Tracks" Trail is probably the USA/UK equivalent Using "trail" is similar to "hiking" versus "tramping", to me More USA terms creeping into nz In NZ Tracks, there are Routes, Tramping Tracks and Walks, (official DOC terminology, or was) They each have own Standard. There hasn't been just a change in language happening, its a whole different attitude towards what we know as tramping. Lot of it inevitable, gear, tourists, social media. It may be the kiwi "Tramper" will one day not exist. There will be Hiking clubs, hiking trails. we already have gear promoted as for Hiking ie boots May be inevitable, but I don't have to like it
No you don't have to and I agree. I'm wondering if the people that are involved with making doc legal policies, publications, etc etc, are far removed from back grounds in NZ back country. So when making their policies etc are more concerned with legalities than any actual NZ back country history. To them hike, tramp, trek. Or Trail, track ,route are all the same things as long as legally they are covered. The words don't matter it's their points that do. Which brings the real worry for traditional NZ back country users, and that's that those behind making policy are so far removed from the places they are making policy about, that they are all about the paper work and not the thing that they are representing.
@TararuaHunter, what do you call an eroded but un-marked route which can be followed in a generally off-track area? I normally refer to something like that as a ground trail, or maybe an animal trail if it looks like it was made by animals. I've never really thought twice about it. I struggle to relate to what definitely seems to be an imported use of 'trail', though, which combines with terms like "trail head" and "trail blazing".... That seems to be more about constructing specific tracks for people to exactly follow. I don't really like the concept because it seems to eliminate the possibility of exploration or independence from simply copying what someone else has done. Trail running's another one I don't really get, but I don't go out running like that anyway. Do runners get hung up over terminology and culture?
I think the term "visitor" simply comes from a DOC-centric worldview from within DOC. It's understandable. DOC staff feel a responsibility of care over "visitors" to the backcountry. On the other hand, regular trampers have a different world view where we are entirely responsible for our own backcountry safety. Furthermore, we don't really want our experiences mediated through a government department. We are walking a classic route, not enjoying a DOC infrastructure asset (although we do appreciate the maintenance and work DOC do). While understandable to me, I think DOC need to challenge themselves, step out of this view, and respect the public as exercising their rights to their lands. On a similar matter, here is a comment from Civil Defence yesterday regarding the Christchurch Port Hills fires: "We’re appealing to the public to resist the temptation to come up for a look. Residents in these areas do not want rubberneckers, this includes mountain bikers and runners. There is also a significant safety issue, it is simply not safe for the general public to enter." While a completely understandable message, it could have been delivered without disparaging the concerned citizens of Christchurch who care about their hills as "rubberneckers." Honestly, it's just rude.
newsflash: DOC parks to be renamed Disney parks....
They *are* magical places.
@izogi. I'd class an unmarked, unmaintained "track" formed mainly by game animals, as a "deer track". Use them a lot when hunting. A lot of old previously official "tracks" exist, that are still a track, but not maintained. I did a fair bit of "trail running", although it was generally called "mountain running". Trail Running is a US term, I think. But "trail Running" is firmly entrenched in NZ now. The adoption of terminology from elsewhere have probably been because of the increased international tourism. The Great Walks, etc. Gear retailers have helped, and now its almost a fashion thing. And the focus of many is now on the highly used places, that have been promoted everywhere, when IMO high use, and over development has stuffed them, as real "tramps". There far more equally scenic trips in our "wilderness" but the focus is on those relatively easy and high profile places. (and then DOC complain about cost of over use?) Its not just about terminology.
As far as Im concerned the only differences between hiking and tramping are how they are spelt and which page they occupy in the dictionary. If you go on any overseas forum you either use hiking or have everyone confused.
If you do not live on DOC-maintained land, you are a visitor to it. You also have a right to claim ownership to the Beehive, but surely when you go there you say you were 'visiting'. As for tramping vs hiking, whilst I personally like the weird Kiwi term, it could be argued that using more globally-recognised terminology may (just may, I have no facts/figures etc), result in less dropkicks coming unstuck. And if you try to market "tramping shoes", well..... :D As for track/vs trail etc, I don't get hung up about it. I like to take the time to explain to people the differences in terminology here, so that they might have a better understanding of how outdoor-related experiences as mentioned by a Kiwi relates in actuality to them in more readily-understood terms. Don't lose the unique Kiwi terms. But allow an integration of standardised terms in order to facilitate safer and more enjoyable outdoor experiences for overseas 'visitors'. ;)
11–20 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by matthew
On 21 February 2017
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown