Boot help!

1–10 of 23

Hi guys, bit of a two parter question regarding boots. I have Grisport Hunter Pro boots (I didn't read the reviews before I bought, more fool me!). They're a few years old and have been used on and off and are nice and soft to the touch. However every time I use them, I get big blisters on my heels. Over New Years, I tramped the Leslie-Karamea, coming out the western end of the Wangapeka. After one day, I had a blister that had ripped open. By the end of the tramp with that blister well taped and padded, it had become the size and depth of a ten cent piece (the old ones) and took a month to fully heal. I also lost three toenails and got another half dozen blisters in various places. This weekend, both heels blistered within an hour of easy tramping up the Nina and we abandoned our plan to make it up to the tops. Flats, hills, rivers, it all gives me blisters in the exact same spot. I don't think my heels are oddly shaped (happy to post a pic for criticism) so I'm trying to work out if there is a way to fix my boots so I don't get blisters on my heels and can do decent length trips in comfort. Alternatively, if there is no way to fix these, I am looking at the Lastrite boots but not sure which I want. Do people recommend the Tramper or the Hunter? And how do these fit for people with slight wider toes/bunions?
First if your boots are in good nic try this first. Blisters happen when boots move on your feet. Try wearing 2 pair of thicker socks or if you already do this maybe a thin and thick sock or possibly even one sock. Also look at the quality of your socks. Last time I got blisters it was because the 2 pair of warehouse socks had worn on the heals to strings. Now wear a merino inner sock and outer work sock.
Hi mate. Not familiar with those boots, but VERY familiar with foot problems. I would soak your boots (if they're leather) in the hottest water you can stand, then put them on soaking wet. Wear them until they're dry. It's the only way you'll re-mold them, and probably to a better fit. Having said that, if you're often losing toenails, there's a good chance you've actually got the wrong size boots. If they're too big, change your innersoles. Also, if you're prone to that one hotspot, here's what you do (trust me, I was a military medic): Get two products. Cutinova Hydro, and Fixomul (or equivalent). The Cutinova Hydro is a gel pad, sticky on one side. Cut it to size; slightly larger than the offending hotspot. Now, when you put this on, it will stick. But when you start moving, it will start sliding around, making it useless. So tape over the top of it with the Fixomul. It's a porous white very sticky tape. To prevent the tape from peeling back, once you've cut it to size, round the corners off. Same with the cutinova. In fact, I do this as a matter of course no matter what tape I use (eg, if I'm strapping). If you try all this, and none of it works, then it would appear that you have the worst boots ever known to mankind. :D Ditch them and try again. ;)
Socks are in good nick. Have tried two pair without success - boots arent big enough for two thick pairs. At the moment I use a non-stick wound pad plus strapping tape which helps pad the area and stays largely put, but it would be nice to not need to stick my socks to my feet every day I head out! Will try the hot hot water, thought that 5 days of soaking feet and boots on the Leslie would have been sufficient to reshape but we will see. Think lost toenails were a combination of downhills and swollen leather making the boot smaller than usual - I could feel my nails getting thumped into the ends or sides as the foot moves forward.
use "liner socks" as an inner pair, sold at most outdoor shops, smooth socks to minimise skin friction... pre tape your heels on trips. but the boots could still be the issue..
Get some boots that fit right. Can't help with the Lastrite recommendation, but scored a nice pair of Scarpas from Macpac on Xmas sale. They bring them in for a wide NZ fit. No wiggle. No downhill toe impact. Take your socks, or treat yourself to a new pair at the same time, and go to a couple of outlets that can fit you correctly. You need the right gear.
As Waynowski said sock liners can make a big difference. I use some Bridgedale ones made of "cool max" and they have helped my feet a great deal. Also socks with a high wool content are better for most people than cotton or predominantly nylon alternatives. I have found taping hot spots with plain old strapping tape makes a big difference too. Just reduces the friction straight onto your skin. However, while all these ideas may help your over riding problem is your boots do not fit. If you are losing toe nails they are most likely too small. (Or you are leaving your nails too long or a combination of the two.). You loose nails when they rub on the end of your boots - generally when going downhill. Remember your tramping boots will likely need to be a half to a full size larger than your everyday shoes - especially if you are wearing thicker socks (or two pairs). Also keep in mind you feet swell a lot during a full days walking. You should try to buy boots in the afternoon so hopefully your feet are a little more "swollen" than they would be first thing in the morning.
Its a good idea to take your tramping sock combo with you hen trying on boots
There's a lacing method to prevent your feet slipping forwards and coming into contact with the front of your boot as you hike downhill. You lace up the lower end of the boot and then do the overhand knot thing but wind a bit more of each lace around the other lace (double overhand knot) which then locks off the lower lacing and isolates the tension. Then you carry on lacing up the upper lacing section but in this video below she shows a technique for the upper section which helps lock your heel in place and helps prevent the foot moving downhill within the boot. http://sectionhiker.com/hiking-boot-lacing-techniques/ The Surgeon’s Knot "Another essential lacing technique is called the Surgeon’s Knot, which my father, a doctor, taught me when I was a young boy. It’s like the simple overhand loop that you normally use when tying shoes but instead of just going around once and pulling it taught, you go around twice or even three times, creating a friction-based lace lock which won’t slip loose when you let go."
Yep. I use a slight variation on the the heel lock (I wear tramping shoes, not boots), and every time I tie laces, no matter what I'm wearing, for whatever reason, I use a surgeon's knot. They really do help. I agree with the two-sock system; to an extent. This definitely works in boots. In shoes, I wear just a single pair. Anything from good Icebreaker socks, to even the el-cheapo's from the Warehouse etc. My point being, if your shoes fit correctly, and as Honora pointed out, they're laced correctly, you shouldn't have many problems at all; IF you can successfully keep sand/dirt/pebbles etc from getting into your footwear. Regular gaiters for boots, I recommend Dirty Girl gaiters for shoes. Oh, one other thing; I avoid "waterproof" and leather footwear like the plague! My body runs hot, including my feet. So I wear "breathable" shoes. And I'm the guy who PURPOSELY walks straight through all the puddles and streams, even if I can easily go around/over them. Walking through water is a lot quicker, I'm a lot less likely to fall over/injure myself, and the reason pertinent to this discussion, it keeps my feet cool. No hotspots for me. :) I find even in wet shoes and socks all day, I very, very rarely get blisters. And when I do, I just debride the blister (cut it away) in camp that night, air my feet out, and the next day, Bob's your aunty! :D As for your toenail situation, this is pretty extreme..... If I'm doing a LONG tramp (hundreds of kilometres), about two weeks prior to commencing, I remove all of my toenails. Yep. Just use a pair of pliers and a scalpel, and cut/rip all 10 toenails out. (Yes, you will initially bleed like a stuck pig). Then hey presto! GUARANTEED no toenail issues on the track! :D I do it two weeks prior in order to treat them and allow the wound to heal. If I fully remove my toenails, they take a couple of months to grow back. :) I will be doing this mid April, as I intend to do extensive tramping in the following months. I'm kinda used to it, so I can remove the 8 smaller nails with relatively little fuss. I'm not gonna lie though; removing the great (or big) toe nails ALWAYS hurts like a mother father!
1–10 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mosley59
On 12 February 2017
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown