Boot help!

Hi guys, bit of a two parter question regarding boots. I have Grisport Hunter Pro boots (I didn't read the reviews before I bought, more fool me!). They're a few years old and have been used on and off and are nice and soft to the touch. However every time I use them, I get big blisters on my heels. Over New Years, I tramped the Leslie-Karamea, coming out the western end of the Wangapeka. After one day, I had a blister that had ripped open. By the end of the tramp with that blister well taped and padded, it had become the size and depth of a ten cent piece (the old ones) and took a month to fully heal. I also lost three toenails and got another half dozen blisters in various places. This weekend, both heels blistered within an hour of easy tramping up the Nina and we abandoned our plan to make it up to the tops. Flats, hills, rivers, it all gives me blisters in the exact same spot. I don't think my heels are oddly shaped (happy to post a pic for criticism) so I'm trying to work out if there is a way to fix my boots so I don't get blisters on my heels and can do decent length trips in comfort. Alternatively, if there is no way to fix these, I am looking at the Lastrite boots but not sure which I want. Do people recommend the Tramper or the Hunter? And how do these fit for people with slight wider toes/bunions?
23 comments
21–23 of 23

I've got to say reading some of the comments are horrifying. Why not just buy boots that fit properly to start with? I've had my fair share of foot issues when tramping but In hindsight I can put pretty much every one of them down to either having I'll-fitting boots or boots which were not fit for the purpose I was using them.
Ok, verdict is in. I am going to try an easy overnight next weekend and will do the hot water and bending tricks before then to see how they help. If not, it's onto buying new boots. Will call Lastrite and make sure I can exchange if the boots aren't the right size so I can avoid this happening again. Kreig, I'm just going to ignore your terrifying foot maintenance suggestion sorry.
@Mosley If you're still having trouble afterwards I highly recommend dropping the 30 bucks on the Ergo patches as a last, last resort. Worked for me the one time bending did not.
21–23 of 23

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mosley59
On 12 February 2017
Replies 22
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown