Hopless hut and surrounds.

Trying to plan my Watangi weekend, and would like to know wither it would be sensible to walk from Mt Robert Carpark, over sunset saddle to Hopeless hut in a day... or wither there is any decent camp sites between Angelus and Hopless hut. Also considering climbing Hopeless the next day, Is it possible to climb without technical climbing... I see the routes are graded as 1 /2... Have climbed a few grade 1 before without issue... but something tells me not all grade 1's are rated equally.
as long as the weather isnt severe, getting to hopeless hut in a day isnt hard if the visibility is good, for someone used to walking off track....
You could camp at the head of Hinapouri tarn, as well as before descending to the tarn (both on the way to Sunset Saddle). Camping here would give you a side trip of an early climb to Angelus Peak - well worth the effort (and not technical). I'm pretty sure you can can camp a short way up the Cedric Tk, still in sight of Lake Angelus, as well.
Thanks, that sounds promising. Just a shame there is severe gales in the forecast... Makes for miserable tramping conditions while on the tops.
This weekend? As long as you are out by midday Monday (6th), the forecast maps look OK to me. Little rain, if any, and a bit of wind building but mostly less than 15kt until Monday midday. By then, though, I'd like to be home or in a good hut.
Reasonable chance of low clouds Saturday, which would hide the views along Robert ridge.. But going to be heaps of others up there. Sunday looks like the best day. Would walk out via the valley Monday.
With the company of a couple of other climbers made it to the snow basin on Hopeless, was not prepared for the amount of snow so turned around. Was a lovely day up the mountain. Was pretty easy scrambling all of the way to the Basin, took a leisurely four hours up, and under half that down. Did not make it to sunset saddle, next time.
Did you happen to bump into an older guy (around 60) doing the Te Araroa trail? I went over Travers saddle with him on Monday and he said he'd met a group coming down from Hopeless hut track...
Honestly can not say, but probably did.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by militaris
On 2 February 2017
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown