Add on Sugarloaf/Rockburn to Routeburn?

Hello! I will be solo traveling in NZ for the month of April and hope do quite a bit of tramping. I am already planning on doing the Routeburn track (starting at the Divide). Looking at the topo map I noticed that the Sugarloaf and Rockburn track are nearby. https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/4d04a8de-1614-4b9b-b2fd-ce8babeb84d7/?layer=GaiaTopoRasterFeet I am considering adding this route to the end of the Routeburn; going from Routeburn Falls to camp near the old Rockburn hut, then to Lake Sylvan and back to Routeburn shelter for transport pickup. I did a google search and did not find any trip reports of anyone else having added this route to the Routeburn. I would appreciate any comments on this plan. Would it be "worth it" or should I spend the extra 2 days on other tracks? The other tramps/walks I hope to do (weather permitting) are Kepler, Ben Lomond, Roys Peak, Mueller Hut, Avalanche Peak, Lake Angelus Hut. Thanks!
The mouth of the Rockburn is pretty with nice views up the Dart, but the track past Lake Sylvan is unremarkable, Lake Sylvan itself I s nothing special. Sugarloaf Pass is boggy with poor views, but if you climb up to the east above the pass the views open up and are much better. There's camping at small tarns a km east of the Pass. With a spare night available I'd do that if the weather is cooperating. It's pretty miserable up there in the rain and wind if it's not.
Try going around lake Harris, up the valley of the trolls and camp up next to lake Wilson. It's a fantastic spot away from the maddening crowds. Easily reached in a day from Glenorchy end.
The North Routeburn/Lake Nerene/Parks Pass/Rockburn/Sugarloaf Pass route is a great alternative IMO.
Thanks for all the very helpful comments! @Yarmoss: thanks for the confirmation. That's kind of what I had gathered. @Gaiters: Thanks! This looks like a great route. @Gazcan: I would love to do this route. I'm concerned it'd be reckless (even with a PLB) to tackle this route solo in an unfamiliar country.
It is possible to get snow down there in April so the North Col variant (on your own) should be done in a good weather forecast period.
Just to be clear, some of those variations mentioned above (Valley of Trolls - Lake Wilson - North Col Routeburn along the tops or North Col - Lake Nerine - Park Pass) are great trips, but quite Alpine in character, lots of tricky route finding around bluffs, steepish snowslopes requiring an iceaxe... Yarmoss was along that route in early January, needed iceaxes, alpine tents to camp on the tops in a snowstorm or two. Over Sugarload Pass, camping in the Rockburn back via Lake Sylvan would be sensible. Overnight at Lake Wilson and return (as mentioned by Gaiters) might be sensible if you had an alpine tent and the weather was settled, further than that you'd want to have real alpine experience and gear.
Thanks for the additional clarifications. I'll be saving the multi-day alpine routes for a future 2nd trip to NZ when I've got a trail buddy and higher chances of good weather. I'm pretty intent on surviving my first trip without incident so I can visit again. :D

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by moxymoxy
On 27 January 2017
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown