Wild Camping in national Parks

1–10 of 20

Hey there, I would like to know if it allowed to camp with your tent in National Parks outside of campsites and if no is anyone actually controlling it? Cheers
Yes. Except within 500 metres of a Great Walk. Also the usual leave-no-trace stuff. If you're within 200 metres of a vehicle accessible area, or of a low-water springs line of any sea or harbour, it's legally classed as Freedom Camping. Camping in these places is still legal by default, but the Department of Conservation is empowered to prohibit it. If that's the case, DOC has to inform you where it's prohibited if you ask.
yeah DOC staff will enforce it, they are on the lookout for illegal campers and may hit you with a fine, go and camp somewhere legally, or pay the fee. we don't endorse or encourage illegal activities on this forum, thanks...
Oh yeah. Like wayno says, if your intent is to try and walk a Great Walk without paying, please don't bother. Just pay for the huts or campsites you need instead of making the rest of us subsidise you, or instead of contributing towards the environmental degradation of a high use area. If that's not the experience you're after, go to somewhere that's not a Great Walk.
Yes you can camp anywhere on DOC land, but there are exceptions, at some places because the environment is fragile (like on the Gillespie pass circuit, some alpine places, etc.). Check out the DOC website or visitor centre before going. And what izogi said about great walks too. And yeah leave no trace: And please go shit more than 200 metres from any stream/lake/river/etc., bury your waste 10 cm deep at least, and don't use shampoo/soap/laundry detergent/dishwashing liquid near or in water courses, lakes or the sea. Don't cut or break wood or plants, don't make a fire, don't leave rubbish, don't build a highway… you know the usual stuff :)
Oh, also there are sometimes restrictions about camping within a 100m radius of any hut. "like on the Gillespie pass circuit" That's an interesting one. I wonder how the restriction's defined legally. Great Walk camping is restricted with bylaws for each of the National Parks, each stating that camping is disallowed within an area defined by being within 500m of a line drawn on a map (to represent the official Great Walk) kept at a relevant DOC office. I can't see any camping restriction in the Mt Aspiring National Park Bylaws which obviously apply to Gillespie Basin, despite DOC claims that camping's not allowed. By its location it'd also not be covered under the Freedom Camping Act. Note that with this comment I'm not endorsing camping there due to the sensitivity (and in this case I presume DOC knows what it's on about), but I'm curious about what actually makes it illegal.
Just to make it clear, it is perfectly legal to camp on most conservation land, Camping is the only option on many routes. Like others have already said, there are a few exceptions. You can camp outside most huts, although there is a fee for camping outside serviced or better huts.
@izogi: no idea, just relaying what DOC website says "Camping is not allowed in Crucible Basin because of its fragile alpine herb fields." http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/otago/places/mount-aspiring-national-park/things-to-do/tracks/gillespie-pass-circuit/
Back in around 1991, a ranger told us we couldn't camp at the head of L. Mackenzie, a km away from the Routeburn track or to the west of Conical Hill on that flat area where the little tarns are because those areas are environmentally fragile. We took him at his word and he kindly allowed us to stay in the warden's quarters instead and cooked us dinner.
I've camped at the head of Lake Mackenzie. Not as pleasant as I thought it would be. Quite stony as I recall. Massive storm though. Track to the hut was a metre below lake level. I don't remember thinking it looked like a fragile environment. Perhaps it was a prohibition without any legal standing.
1–10 of 20

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Timeman
On 26 January 2017
Replies 19
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown