shelter expectations in NZ..

This thread branched from "Incidents in the mountains" on . Explore the branch.

60 people a year die in europe? remember europe has a hundred times the population of NZ and a similar amount more tourists. i'm reading about overseas people coming here and having an expectation to be able to use huts here and not realising the tracks to those huts and bad weather can sometimes prevent you getting to a hut for the night... the huts along the te araroa trail are often crammed with more people than bunks. even those who have their own shelter tend to have summer tents or less with them that won't cope with bad weather out in the open.. its often colder here than foreigners expect , and they prefer to be in huts because they dont have the gear to camp comfortably in rough weather... thin clothes, sleeping bags and tents with mesh inners that let the cold air straight in, some of the overseas tent designs have tent outers that dont come as close to the ground as NZ tents, they are designed to maximise airflow through to the inside of the tent, and the tent doesnt stand up to high winds as well. even trampers who are seasoned at tramping can complain when they take a bunk which they dont normally get in the country they come from as preference to camping, then find themselves jammed in to an overful hut when others who could camp, won't.... theres like some mentality in peoples minds,,,, I"m in NZ i should be able to use a hut without problems....
Last week we camped near Fenella Hut up the Cobb Valley. It is a 12 bunk hut. The day we left, there were 8 staying on in the hut. I counted those heading up, on the way back down the valley, and got to a total of 25 (including the 8). One of them told us that another group of 7 was heading up later. Hopefully some had tents? hohwaz you were there - how did everyone fit in?
Quite well, the hut is large and there's actually something like 15 mats, 13 fitting on the bunks and 2 on the floor. First night we were around 18 in the hut, with 13 on the bunks and 5 in the small room behind the stove. Second night about 8 people in the hut. We had planned on pitching our tent, but on the first night there were actually 2 free bunks, so that was the occasion to use that hut pass for once. When we left on day 3 there were about 10 people in the hut already, and we met one large group of 10+ on the way, not sure if they had tents, but I guessed they did seeing their large packs. @wayno: 60 people in the French Alps, the number for the whole of Europe is probably much larger. As for tents quality, do you think that other countries don't have strong wind, rain, mud, snow, ice and cold? It's a bit like foreigners who think that Australia don't have mountains, or snow :) Sure NZ is different, but most gear from other countries work well here, and remember that in Europe and Asia you can get a ~$45 tent that is tested in a wind tunnel and will stand up in most heavy weather, whereas in NZ most stuff sold in stores like Kathmandu or Macpac is of an appalling quality, but sold for 10 times that price. And in fact it makes sense, you're not having the same quality standards when you are selling stuff to a market of 4 millions people than when you are selling to a market of 2+ billions people. But yeah I don't think that NZ gear is better suited to NZ conditions than any other gear.
As for tents quality, do you think that other countries don't have strong wind, rain, mud, snow, ice and cold? They but not at the same time As for the sub45 tents overseas compared to the expensive stuff here. A lot is made unbranded and you get a brand put on by the wholesaler How do we know that two of those brands are not macpac and katmandu. Have a look through aliexpress and see how many have the same specs. Very few are fakes
i've used a macpac tent in over 100kmh wind, the Olympus and its wind tunnel tested for 160km/hr winds end on, . and it performed exceptionally, theres nothing wrong with macpac tents i've used them exclusively for thirty years, theres no comparison between macpac and kathmandu tents, the brands are poles apart in quality and always have been. you do have to choose your macpac gear more carefully now, they have gone into some lower range gear as well, but theres nothing wrong with their higher end gear. I've seen an olympus completely buried by snow and it was still standing intact after i was dug out... i've read about numerous overseas brand tents breaking in NZ, MSR stand out .... a lot of american tents arent made for heavy rain and some arent made for NZ winds. Macpac tents can be every bit as good as overseas high end tents... theres a lot of very experienced trampers and mountaineers using a lot of macpac gear.... the NZ alpine team test the gear extensively in alpine environments around the world
When I was hiking in Canada over our days the temperature went from a sunny 32, down to a rainy -10, and back up to 30. Had snow falling around me on a summer tramping trip to the mountains in Slovakia. Struggled against powerful cold winds in the Dolomites. All temperate places I have tramped had unsettled, unpredictable weather. I do not feel NZ is anything special. New Years eve this year I tramped up a newly cut track to a newly refurbished hut. Only person in it :), if I had stayed up certain I would of seen the Wellington fireworks. There are so many tracks, huts which are still empty more often than not, even during the busiest months of the years. I struggle to remember the last time I shared a hut with another person.
Last night I made a mistake as the forecast was for NE winds and rain in Auckland. Assuming the West coast would be relatively sheltered I walked into Pararaha valley (between Whatipu and Karekare) with my 10 yr old daughter. Well, the rain started at 7.30 pm and the wind 'bombs' not long after - the huge gusts just exploding down the valley. Luckily I'd taken my best tent - Hilleberg Anjan gt, for the vestibule in the rain. The tent was being blown all over the place and when the 'bombs' hit I really thought it was going to be flattened and break. Now I know what this tunnel tent is capable of and also how local landscapes can distort the conditions. Hardly any sleep though. I hate to think what would have happened in a 'light weight' shelter, especially with a dependent...

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by waynowski
On 21 January 2017
Replies 6
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown